Do Nipped Fins Replenish?

Its the Betta - best to re-home him - even if you get them healed he will probably continue to nip. Its best not to keep any long finned fish with Bettas as they see them as a threat.
Mmmm, more ill advice from the shop hen - I already took the Dwarf Gourami, Hatchets, Pencils and Guppie back cos Gourami was nipping others, (Betta always been there) already lost 2 Pencils. Ironically I changed them for the Rainbows. They told me not to listen to forums cos never know where the advice is coming from!!! When I specifically asked if the Rainbows would be OK with the Betta, they reassured me they would!! Great advice eh!! Told me they'd never ill advise cos been in business 20 yrs.

Have nowhere to house the Betta until fins heal, probably end up taking the rainbows back! Or, if I got rid of the Betta, what other larger fish would be OK as I like the idea of one large one (can't be bigger than 2" tho as that's the width of the wall tank)?

I'm sure you could find a dirt cheap 5-10 gallon tank for him with a heater and a small filter? :rolleyes: How's ebay looking? A friend you can borrow a small tank off? Just throwing it out there. You could have a really nice, cheap project on the go!

I'm sure you could find a dirt cheap 5-10 gallon tank for him with a heater and a small filter? :rolleyes: How's ebay looking? A friend you can borrow a small tank off? Just throwing it out there. You could have a really nice, cheap project on the go!

Errr, no! Think we're on different planets! My idea of a beautiful aquarium, wall mounted, nicely lit, is a million miles from 'here's a few chosen fish, plus one in a sh1tty old tank cos he fights, but I'll stick him in a small tank, with zero aesthetics... #136###!?

How were your water conditions? I've had Neon Tetras drop dead for not much reason at all, I guess some are just fragile. After they die other fish tend to pick out the eyes, so it probably wasn't attacked.
My Chinese Algae Eater lost its fins all the way to the bottoms of the spines from fin rot, but they are fully regrown. I didn't even have to keep the tank extra clean or anything. If you can find what injured the betta in the first place, it should be perfectly fine.

Errr, no! Think we're on different planets! My idea of a beautiful aquarium, wall mounted, nicely lit, is a million miles from 'here's a few chosen fish, plus one in a sh1tty old tank cos he fights, but I'll stick him in a small tank, with zero aesthetics... #136###!?

Wow, overreaction, much?? Sometimes we have to do what's best for the fish, and sometimes that involves separating ones that don't get on. If you don't like the idea of a second tank then give the betta away.

Wall mounted tanks are really too thin to be nice homes for fish IMO; a tank 2 inches thick is not a nice place for a betta, they are not small fish. I personally love the look of my tanks however I also recognise that the fish are living creatures and I dictate their living conditions so as well as looking good, I try to make suitable homes for the fish.

Which cories do you have? Most will grow far bigger than two inches.

I saw one of those wall tanks in a doctor's surgery once... Very depressing. The fish could barely turn around :( not what they were going for I'm sure!

To me, keeping the fish happy and healthy is what this hobby is all about, not necessarily having a glitzy centerpiece which looks nice at any cost. Ripped fins would upset me because they are a sign that the tank is unharmonius and my choice of tankmates is probably causing stress to the inhabitants, not because it looks untidy.

I saw one of those wall tanks in a doctor's surgery once... Very depressing. The fish could barely turn around :( not what they were going for I'm sure!

To me, keeping the fish happy and healthy is what this hobby is all about, not necessarily having a glitzy centerpiece which looks nice at any cost. Ripped fins would upset me because they are a sign that the tank is unharmonius and my choice of tankmates is probably causing stress to the inhabitants, not because it looks untidy.
The funny thing is, the tank I received lately was a wall tank. Yet it is 35 cm wide. o_O Which is much wider than mine is (mine's 30 cm). Though almost equally as long (86 cm).
But the fish that former owner kept in there were definitely NOT meant for a wall tank like that. 150L housing 4 pangasius sharks, 3 plecos, 1 gourami, 1 adult angelfish... And had no filter. Even worse, he moved those into a smaller tank, but he said he will give away all but the angelfish, which he intends to keep in the taller but shorter tank.

Which cories do you have?

Panda, Albino & spotted.

Tank is 10cm/4" deep, but again (probably ill advised) the aquarium said Bettas will be fine with that depth. Said the Corries won't get much larger too.

See you have a lovely selection of plants... presume no snails then? Cos mine all get eaten by one large yellow snail! :(

Which cories do you have?

Panda, Albino & spotted.

Tank is 10cm/4" deep, but again (probably ill advised) the aquarium said Bettas will be fine with that depth. Said the Corries won't get much larger too.

See you have a lovely selection of plants... presume no snails then? Cos mine all get eaten by one large yellow snail! :(
You need to feed the apple snail (that yellow snail) with either flakes or boiled carrot or zucchini. Otherwise they will go for your plants. But they are useful when dealing with rotten leaves.

I have never had problems with snails (I have two zebra nerites) or fish nibbling plants, they seem to go mainly for the dead bits. I also don't treat with co2 or ferts so who knows. I do love the look of a heavily planted tank though, I wish I had the patience for proper aquascaping but my tank is much like my garden - full to bursting with no order whatsoever!

Cories really need to be in groups of their own species, at least six of each, to be happy. I believe those you have mentioned could easily reach 3inches, possibly larger. You can find mote details in the species section.

You need to feed the apple snail (that yellow snail) with either flakes or boiled carrot or zucchini. Otherwise they will go for your plants. But they are useful when dealing with rotten leaves.

Have noticed!!! He's eaten nearly all the grassy type of plants, hasn't really touched the oxygen plants though. Are there others which they don't eat?

Have noticed!!! He's eaten nearly all the grassy type of plants, hasn't really touched the oxygen plants though. Are there others which they don't eat?
I don't know, one of my snails has eaten pretty much anything:
my ceratopteris - check
my java moss - check
my willow moss - check
my java fern - check (although only 2 leaves and those were barely grown but then again that one snail always liked new growth).
Ever since I feed them flakes in a bowl, they don't touch the plants anymore.

Most reactions

Back