Do Let This Happen To You !

I only have 5 tanks at the moment...2 5.5G, a 10G, a 29G, and a 40B....started out when my daughter bought herself a 10G "kit", and brought home fish with it, the same day....thanks for the great advice, LFS employees...

Found a 75G on the side of the road near my work place, brought it home, cleaned it up, leak test, looks brand new...but my house is very small, really no room to fit it in...

Trying to convince Mrs. Slap that we don't need a couch, I never sit on the damn thing, anyway

I only have 5 tanks at the moment...2 5.5G, a 10G, a 29G, and a 40B....started out when my daughter bought herself a 10G "kit", and brought home fish with it, the same day....thanks for the great advice, LFS employees...

Found a 75G on the side of the road near my work place, brought it home, cleaned it up, leak test, looks brand new...but my house is very small, really no room to fit it in...

Trying to convince Mrs. Slap that we don't need a couch, I never sit on the damn thing, anyway
I did away with end tables to put one 75G on one side of the couch and a 45G on the other side. Less to dust now. :)

That's a drawback of getting older too. I have to limit myself on tank sizes because I physically cannot move anything more than a 20 gallon by myself.
I worry more about something happening to me and my family having to do away with everything. That’s why I’m trying to downsize some.

I did away with end tables to put one 75G on one side of the couch and a 45G on the other side. Less to dust now. :)
See, I could do that, but she wants to replace the 40B with the 75G...not gonna happen...first, I'd have to build a new stand (which would have to happen anyway), and second, there's about 75 fast little fish in the 40B, and it's heavily planted, with 5" of sand...not a chore I would relish

See, I could do that, but she wants to replace the 40B with the 75G...not gonna happen...first, I'd have to build a new stand (which would have to happen anyway), and second, there's about 75 fast little fish in the 40B, and it's heavily planted, with 5" of sand...not a chore I would relish
With you there. :)

I don’t plan on doing any coral to start out with, just some live rocks.

I believe Lionfish in a reef tank (corals) would not be a good idea, these guys crap alot as they are serious carnivous. A 55 gallon tank with a good canister filter is all you really need.

For live rock, I like this solution from Marco Rocks, they dig up large coral skeletons (rocks) from an ancient reef in Florida, no harvesting from active coral reefs.

I believe Lionfish in a reef tank (corals) would not be a good idea, these guys crap alot as they are serious carnivous. A 55 gallon tank with a good canister filter is all you really need.

For live rock, I like this solution from Marco Rocks, they dig up large coral skeletons (rocks) from an ancient reef in Florida, no harvesting from active coral reefs.
I was planning on a 75g+. A 55g is huge compared to the tanks I have now, but these guys really need lots of room.

I was planning on a 75g+. A 55g is huge compared to the tanks I have now, but these guys really need lots of room.
A 75g would be better than a 55 with the extra depth but Lionfish are not active swimmers, they don't need alot of room to swim around. What I remember from long ago, they just hang around looking for that daily goldfish.

If I really wanted a Lionfish, I would have no problem putting a pair into a 55 gallon tank. You might be saving them from getting speared in the Caribbean.

Hm, something to think about...

I want to add fire shrimp, but I’m sure if the Lion Fish would eat then.

I don’t plan on doing any coral to start out with, just some live rocks.
Live rock is simply rock that has been in water for 6 months or more.
If you want a fish only tank, put some dry limestone in the tank, add sea water and cycle it, then add your lionfish.

No shrimp with lionfish or they get eaten.

Lionfish are not native to the American waters and should be removed because they are an introduced predatory species.

You can keep them in a 4 foot tank because they aren't big on swimming.

So Lion Fish are sort of like saltwater Bettas?

I don’t really know what I want to do yet. I may end up getting a smaller tank and going for a couple clown fish, shrimp, and gobies...

I got my first tank (20 gal) for Christmas this year. Now I have the 20, a 29, and a 5, and trying to get a 10 in the next week or two

So Lion Fish are sort of like saltwater Bettas?

I don’t really know what I want to do yet. I may end up getting a smaller tank and going for a couple clown fish, shrimp, and gobies...

Watch some youtube videos on them hunting, it is cool watching them stalk then strike with amazing quickness. I understand that a larger tank may not be feasible at this time but a pair of Lions is a stunning display.

The lack of predators make them easy target for divers, Divers Fight the Invasive Lionfish

Most reactions

Back