Do I Want An Aquarium?

Matute

Reaction score
I am not really an Aquarist but I do enjoy seeing other peoples' fishes at their places. The main reason for me not having fish is that it seems all too complicated: water skimmers, pumps, oxigenizers, water temperature... in terms of simplicity a cat would be ideal, only that a cat doesn't provide the soothing relaxation an aquarium does. So I guess I'm here to let you convince me to take the frist step and get an aquarium of my own instead of anoying friends and relatives by sitting in their living rooms all day and emptying their refrigerators!

Any idea where I can start looking for equipment and prices online?

Most of that stuff is for marine tanks.

You need a tank, a light, a filter, and a heater. That's about it. And once it's all set up there isn't a lot you have to do.

Plus you've come here so if things do confuse you, some of the helpful members will be on handfor you.

Its an amazing hobby if you have a natural love for fish.

It can be kept incredibly simple, but also has a risk of becoming incredibly complicated if or when problems arise.

If you try a simple aquarium and love it, the maintainence becomes a massive part of the enjoyment. Unlike a cat these habitats are completely artificial and so the fish are therefore completely dependent on you.

Get a small tank, make sure you fish-less cycle it first and if by the time the water is ready for fish, you still cant wait to get going- you'll love it.

I have only one tank, and if it weren't for my living circumstances id have at least 2 more. They are planned and ready to go!

Good luck, and Welcome to the world of fish keeping :lol:

if you enjoy fish and have the time to do weekly water changes which doesnt have to take long depending on tank size... then go for it.

once the tank is cycled and the fish are happy then all that is required is a 20-30% water change weekly, of course they are living things and may get ill or damaged so extra care is needed.

lots of help from good keepers on here to be had so dont be affraid to ask :good:

for a total newbie a larger tank is best, it will give you more time to sort out problems WHEN they arrive,
but through those problems you'll get more experience

Not sure where you live but equipment prices will vary by region, country and continent. Overall I would say a fishtank costs about as much as a cat by the time you look as cost of an aquarium setup, fish and plants (and inevitably the burning desire to set more tanks up) vs. the cost of vet bills, food, supplies for a cat.

Don't get confused: there is NO SUCH THING as a simple pet. If you are considering getting a cat I would definitely join some cat forums and get up to date with the latest ideas about responsible cat ownership. A lot has changed since we had to put Blue down 10 years ago... increasingly I am hearing that cats are best kept indoors, which throws a whole new spin on the cat ownership game. Depending on species of fish, cats may also be a bigger commitment as far as lifespan, also if you keep your cat indoors you are clearly going to have to make a reasonable effort to keep it occupied.

A freshwater setup is not as complicated as you think: as far as equipment goes you are basically looking at a filter and a heater. And of course the tank and lights. No need for air pumps (usually the are only employed in quarantine or fry tanks) or skimmers (saltwater equipment) or oxygenizers (a filter will do that for you).

If I were you I would sit down and do some research on fish, its quite easy if you start out small and as you become more invested in the hobby (as often happens) and learn more you can move onto increasingly complicated setups and delicate fish, make your foray into the world of planted aquaria, experiment with different types of fish (cichlids, coldwater, discus, monster fish, brackish water fish) and even move into saltwater.

In a few days it will have been exactly one year since I decided to pull my childhood tank out of the basement and walk up to the pet store to get some zebra danios and a betta for it. Since then I have run up to 6 tanks simultaneously, tried more than a few kinds of fish and an just getting my feet wet with planted aquaria. Lets just that if you start small and take baby steps the mystery of fishkeeping unravels a lot faster than you would think!!!

have u considered the location of the tank (which room it will go in)? the space available for the tank (a corner, a wall, on a desk etc.)? and the costs of a tank?

if u do decide to go ahead with the idea, read as much material as u can.

what kind of tanks do ur friends and relatives have? marine, coldwater, planted etc.?

For a first tank a kitbis normally good. That's what I did. I got a Roma 125 kit with stand and everything.

Now I have more knowledge and experience I'd be happy to buy bits separately because I know what is needed.

For a first tank a kitbis normally good. That's what I did. I got a Roma 125 kit with stand and everything.

Now I have more knowledge and experience I'd be happy to buy bits separately because I know what is needed.

speaking from experience fish dont

bring a large range of wildlife back to decapitate in your garden
climb up your curtains
sleep on the ironing
rip up carpets and rugs
shred the decking to keeps its claws sharp
crap in inaccessible corner just for a laugh
pinch a cooked chicken from the kitchen
turn into a ninja on speed when entangled in the blinds leaving your hands arms covered in a thousand cuts
beat up your dogs
extend claws into your neck as a sign of affection.

cat or fish? aye its a tough choice !!

climb up your curtains
sleep on the ironing
rip up carpets and rugs
turn into a ninja on speed when entangled in the blinds leaving your hands arms covered in a thousand cuts
beat up your dogs

Love that! I prefer dogs as they don't pooh in your house! Fish on the other hand are great for silence and if youre just vegitating on the couch ;)
I started with a 10G and quickly moved up to a 29G. Much more room and more diversity. FishLESS cycle and you will have very few problems.

If your worried about maintainence I can tell you it only takes me 20-30mins each week to clean my 50L tank - thats nothing!

climb up your curtains
sleep on the ironing
rip up carpets and rugs
beat up your dogs

HEY! Cats dont.........ummmmmmm.........hmmmmmm,I'm gonna go look at my fish now and keep quiet! :lol:

Ebay is good for 2nd hand tanks and sometimes freecycle have people giving away 60ltr tanksfor free x

Hi Matute :)

Welcome to the forum! :hi:

Why not have both a fishtank and a cat? If the cat is raised around tanks, it will take it all in stride and not bother the fish. Here's my cat Pandora making her rounds.

2.jpg

:D

Most reactions

Back