Do I Really Need A Ro Unit?

blackiwoods

Reaction score
Hi All,

Just about to set up my first Marine Fish Tank. Its a 300 litre tank and I only want a few Clown Fish (and similar beginners fish) which I've been told are easy-ish to start with, a few invertebrates, some live coral etc (maybe a shrimp or two). Whats really putting me off is that I cant use tap water. Will I really need a RO unit?

Please help.

You can buy RO water at some grocery stores or your lfs if you want to, but in the end it will be much cheaper to make your own.

i have read others on here stating they never use ro this would of course depednd on your local water parameters, i havent a clue on what they should be though sorry, others maybe able to help. you would have to ensure you use somthing like aqua safe to remove any hint of chlorine though. An ro unit on ebay is approx £75 for a 100gallon a day unit so taking into consideration that the water is the most important thing in your tank and that its the water that should be kept correctly instead of the life in the tank i would purchase one personally.

Thanks for the help.

I just struggling to find any proper info on them, I dont know what stage is best to get or if a cheap on would be ok. I've seen one for £38, new, buy it now, on ebay.

Does anyone know a website dedicated to this area or is oneone on here an expert?

Thanks again.

have a look at osmotics.co.uk

Ideally you want a 4 stage unit as this will include a chamber for DI resin which will give you a tds reading of 0 (can not get any purer).

You will also need a tds meter. This will tell you the quality of the RO water.

Most reactions

Back