Do I Need Another Bulb?

DJackson

Reaction score
Hi guys,

My tank is still in the fish in cycling process and I've had various plants in since the beginning. Its a 10 Gallon tank.

Some plants fare brilliantly (java fern) while anything else literally melts. The Vallis included. The java moss hasnt really grown in the three weeks. I've started dosing with CO2, and add some flora boost once a week.
Today, I've changed the bulb that came with the tank to an Arcadia. It's a 15w bulb at the red and blue spectrum designed for optimum photosynthesis as per lfs suggestion.

Soon, I am going to change the substrate to seachem fluorite so that root based plants have a consistent source of nutrients. The current gravel may be a bit big.

From what I've been told when purchasing the previous plants, they are all low-mid lighting requirements although I understand that's hard to verify given that I don't know the names.

Anyway, I was wondering whether I should think about purchasing a twin bulb fixture with the intent to add a second bulb?

Lighting is on 8-10 hours a day. I have a very small amount of hair or thread algae but this is only just visible on the one remaining vallis and not on the fern.

Anything else I should be doing?

Many thanks guys
X

I thought I should note what is actually happening to the plants.

The leaves literally lose their green and become clear. This if left gradually worsens until the stem is clear.
Upon inspection, the stems at the roots at that point have disintegrated.

Does flourite have much in the way of nutrients or is it just made up of stuff that looks nutritious. I can't remember, it could've been Eco Complete....Either way add a good complete fertiliser that contains nitrates and phosphates if your adding carbon - Daily.

Clear leaves (if the plant is established and not changing itself in to a submersed form) is a lack of carbon, or rather too much light which induces a lack of carbon
Except Valois which as well as the above can come a cropper in the presence of liquid carbon and or soft water.

The light spectrum dealy is hocum in terms of aquatic plants, or more toward don't worry about it and certainly don't pay extra, but I'd guess your lfs don't know that.

IMO

Hi SO19,

It contains a lot of minerals that are leeched by rooting plants as they are required, particularly iron, magnesium and potassium. So in essence it provides those sorts of nutrients for the plants without having to dose the aquarium. At least for rooted plants.

With regards to being too much light and not enough CO2 - Are you sure that could be the case? The aquarium is dosed with CO2 as per instructions, and the light is one t8 15w at 6500k
Theoretically the CO2 should therefore be adequate?

Of course I really don't know anything as I'm only going by what I've read as opposed to your experience.
My gut based on the CO2 dosing would leave light and nutrients: nutrients being certainly not enough while lighting may or may not currently be adequate?

Thanks for your reply!
X

Is there a way to test the presence and ppm of carbon?
It'll be worth checking it in case I'm not providing enough..

Most reactions

Back