Do I give this blue goby a home?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Willbacon23

Fishaholic
Reaction score
My friend is moving house and is unable to find new homes for only one of his fish- a blue cobalt goby . I meet some of the requirements-high flow high oxygenation perfect temperature and fit in water paramaters. It would be a single in the tank but the feeding is so strenuous I feel it will be a huge task looking after it. I feel awful because don’t want it to go to a LFS again, but I have 9 corys already in my 25G, I’m trying to ask weighing it all up is it worth it?

If it is going to be stressful and strenuous I would say no, fish keeping should be enjoyable. Maybe he can give it to a LFS. They take unwanted fish around here.

Last edited:
If you can grow algae on your glass and decor, and are willing to do so, it isn't hard to keep them fed. Smooth rocks are best to grow some aufwuchs for them to eat. They will eat certain foods, sometimes algae wafers, vegetables or other sinking wafers. But the aufwuchs is the most important part. Ideally, they would only be added to a tank that is well established so that the tank will have enough food for them.

How much flow do you have on the tank?

If you can grow algae on your glass and decor, and are willing to do so, it isn't hard to keep them fed. Smooth rocks are best to grow some aufwuchs for them to eat. They will eat certain foods, sometimes algae wafers, vegetables or other sinking wafers. But the aufwuchs is the most important part. Ideally, they would only be added to a tank that is well established so that the tank will have enough food for them.

How much flow do you have on the tank?
I believe I am able to- I presume adding more plants will help with that- I have loads of algae in my other tank constantly forming-could I transport that over?

You could. It is aufwuchs that is important for these guys. If you have doubts that you can keep it fed, I wouldn't get it. But if you can grow it well enough and if the tank is established, it should do fine. Stores don't tend to have the growth necessary to feed them. But don't get a fish that you are not sure you can keep, as that could just cause issues for you. If you are confident that you have the growth necessary, then as long as the flow is ideal I'd say it could fit in.

You could. It is aufwuchs that is important for these guys. If you have doubts that you can keep it fed, I wouldn't get it. But if you can grow it well enough and if the tank is established, it should do fine. Stores don't tend to have the growth necessary to feed them. But don't get a fish that you are not sure you can keep, as that could just cause issues for you. If you are confident that you have the growth necessary, then as long as the flow is ideal I'd say it could fit in.
What’s the bioload like? Will it significantly increase the stocking of my tank?

What’s the bioload like? Will it significantly increase the stocking of my tank?
Not at all. They are relatively small(ish) and are quite a slim fish. The bioload shouldn't be too big. Do you know if it's male or female?

Most reactions

Back