Do Hob Filters Mean You Ca't Have A Lid?

flix_cw

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Having looked at a few designs on ebay/google, they all seem to be large units that perch on the lip of the tank, and therefore a lid can't be used.

Are there any designs/models that don't cause this problem? Please link if so! I currently have a UGF but am considering switching my substrate to sand.

Thanks!

I use HOB's on all of my tanks...

Heres a 25 tall
DSC01615.jpg

And a 55
DSC01690.jpg

EDIT: I think even if you use glass lids they should have enough room on the back for one to fit on......

I have 2 large hobs on my smaller tanks and just cut holes in the back of the lid so it fitted around the hobs :)

i fancy changing my internal filter for a hob for that extra bit space in the tank, anyone know where to get one in the uk it's for a 20 gallon tank and do they make more noise than a internal filter.

Thanks for all your replies guys. Guess i need to get handy at the DIY and cut a hole in my tank's lid!

Loads of HOBs on ebay, just type "hang on filter" and a whole bunch come up. None by any brands i recognise though, like Eheim or Fluval.

Are complete externals a better bet? There must be a thread on this forum adding up the pros and cons of the different filter types?

Thanks for all your replies guys. Guess i need to get handy at the DIY and cut a hole in my tank's lid!

Loads of HOBs on ebay, just type "hang on filter" and a whole bunch come up. None by any brands i recognise though, like Eheim or Fluval.

Are complete externals a better bet? There must be a thread on this forum adding up the pros and cons of the different filter types?

do a search for "Eheim External Filter Liberty" look good, a bit more expensive than the ones on ebay but eheim are good filters normally.

I have the biggest filter,the 2042

i have measured it from front to back,its 5 inches,at which roughly 1.5 inches is inside the tank side,so sticks out around 3.5 inches over the back.
Have a look at the bottom of the page on that link,it'll show the filter sizes :)

I would also Highly recommend the Azoo mignon range. Excellent filters and VV Silent.

so what is the advantage of a HOB? takes less space in the tank than an internal, and no space in your stand like an external?

i fancy changing my internal filter for a hob for that extra bit space in the tank, anyone know where to get one in the uk it's for a 20 gallon tank and do they make more noise than a internal filter.

i have an HOB filter
and the only thing i
can hear is running water
and that's only when i have my hearing
aids in there is no motor noise
at all

I ilike that they offer more filter media options. In some I Use rubble, stones, or ceramic media. In others I use only Floss, in others I use Nylon Scouring Pads. And ATM I am using a Bathing Scrunchie as media. I find that with ahOB you can control the flow better than an internal. You can MOD them more easily than an internal or external. You can Add hosing to the inlet quite easily instead of having a rigid shaft as the inlet. I do this when I want to reduce the amount of cutting needed on the lid.

Most reactions

Back