Do Fish Sleep

Durbkat

Untrainable
Reaction score
I was wondering if fish slept or did they just swim around like they do during the day?

I was wondering if fish slept or did they just swim around like they do during the day?

:lol: Yes!

It's just that they tend not to have eyelids (I think there may actually be a coulple of species that do - sure someone will say :unsure: ) so can't close their eyes. If you look at them at night, when the tank light has been off for a while, you'll find that some are staying as still as possible in the tank, generally where they feel safest or the flow is the least.

As prankster said, 'rest' is probably more appropriate.

My pygmy corys fall asleep on the ends of leaves and look very cute.
:wub:

Ami

haha..i hope you were just joking about that. I find durbkat really informative :D Keep posting!

haha..i hope you were just joking about that. I find durbkat really informative :D Keep posting!

Sometimes ... but mostly he just posts without being helpful. I guess he wants his post count to go up or something.

Ha ha ha really funny :rolleyes: I am so helpful I just get bored sometimes and post random threads. :look:

If you're bored..go play with your fish :D

Anyways..back to the topic. If sleeping= closing your eyes, then fish don't sleep. But when it's pitch black outside, you can sleep with your eyes open, at least that's what fish do.

Or do it how my old clown loaches would do it, lay on there side and look dead, expect they were not to clear up confusion.

Well I sleep with my eyes open anyways so I guess I dont sleep I just rest. =D

I catch my fish "resting" all the time at night. I can see them on the bottom not moving. As soon as I turn the lights on in the morning they swim all over. Saltwater fish imo are easier to see "rest" My ex bf had a tank with percs, a hippo tang, and more and everynight when he turned off the lights the percs would fan the sand away so there was a hole and theyd lay on the bottom, and the tank would go in a cave. Sooooooo cute.

Most reactions

Back