DIY tank covers

Boxcar Muzzdogg

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I found these instructions for building your own inexpensive and effective tank covers. I don't know if there is already a topic on this but I felt compelled to post this because it can save tons of money. I actually found this on the site of the Grater Chicago Cichlid Association. There are a few other DIY's on there too.

http://www.gcca.net/howto/tank_covers.htm

All I did was take some type of plexiglass that I found at Lowe's I believe it was 1/4 of an inch and just cut it to fit inside the ledges of my 55 gallon. Works good and cost me about $5.

The GCCA idea works, I just cut the cheap acrylic to size with no edging for my tanks. It's arond $3 for a 2'x4' sheet.

Tolak

Excellent post. Do you think you could use this material for making tank dividers as well.

Good post, thanks.

Easy to do and readily available, you can cet that stuff free from any builders that are doing a shop or office upgrade.

Quint

BigC said:
Excellent post. Do you think you could use this material for making tank dividers as well.
i really don't see why not! although it doesn't allow water to flow through it like plastic mesh would...

QUOTE (BigC @ Jul 1 2005, 04:41 PM)
Check out the other diy stuff on the same site for making tank deviders.
Then clip a piece of the prismatic diffuser to it and bingo your away.

Quint

Won't plexiglass discolor and effect lighting? You can have glass custom cut at any mom and pop hardware store, buy hinges for glass tops on line. Can even have glass cut to fit your filters ect.

Thats an excellent idea, but make sure the glass is sturdy. I worked in a hardware store for a couple of years and the glass seamed to be easily breakable.

Most reactions

Back