Diy Metal Halide Box

I was gonna say, a aluminum sheet bend slightly behind each bulb will help immensly in focusing the light towards the tank.... The fan in the middle is good, might wanna try and get two more fans for each end as well... that one little fan I doubt will do the job.... Is this going inside of a hood> Might just be easier to make a wooden hood if you don't have one, then you can flush mount the fans to the wooden canopy and have a much large reflector for each bulb.... the biggest concern is still heat though... those 400W badboys right next to each other are gonna pump out some serious btu's...

Ox :good:

Hi ox whats btu's??? yah i will be fitting two extra fans each end! found this out after taking pics! im never played with halides and not 100% sure how much heat we are talking :S

btu's is a heat output. boilers and rads are measured in btu's

watching this one with interest. Tempted to try a small DIY halide myself. Looks like it could be good. I would advise the use of an RCD with it being home made though :good:

btu's is a heat output. boilers and rads are measured in btu's

watching this one with interest. Tempted to try a small DIY halide myself. Looks like it could be good. I would advise the use of an RCD with it being home made though :good:

HAHA my hole fish tank is RCD :D

To make a small one i had to shop my one has it was too long! keept the small bit thort to my self hmmm small halide lol!!!!

It will be hanging so heat shudnt be too much of a problem??? i cant wait to get my ballast now! haha cheers for expaline what btus is

MH bulbs get really hot! they will easily leave you with a nice red blister if your skin touches them. Just get loads of air flow/movement around them to take the heat away from the tank

Heh, forget blister, my halide gave me a 2nd degree burn once...

Most reactions

Back