Diy Lighting...

Fish are friends

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I am going to build my own hood for my 12 gal tank so i can upgrade the lighting and all i want to know is.. can i use the balast and wires from a kitchen light. They would be kept away from any water in a watertight compartment within the hood..thanks.

Sounds like a 'shocking' (
wahey.gif
) combination.

fair enough...im trying to upgrade my lighting a cheaply as possible as i want the tank to have more then just swords and the light levels are about 1.5 wpg

you can grow quite alot in 1.5wpg, what look were you after?

not quite sure yet but i like a structured but well planted tank... i bought some watersprite and vallisneria. the watersprite has started rotting so have to remove it. the vallisneria is growing ,i think, and the swords are well developed... at the moment i am trying to see what i can grow before i make a final decision on how the tank will look which then means i need to look at the lighting hence the diy lighting!

i cant see a problem with doing your own lighting long if its in a water tight area in the hood. i suppose you could use any type of lighting in the end long if its protected from the water and wired in right

wiring part isnt a problem and the compartment will be 100% water tight. the reason i ask is i have a mate who can get me t5 overhead office units which would be perfect for my tank as long as i seal it properly... ill use the water tight fittings from an old broken t5 aquarium light fitting.!

as long as you seal it properly, thats the key, and you'd have to be able to get access to it to change the bulb

Hello,

Yep, no problem doing this at all..

As long as..

You can guarantee that moisture is kept away from the ballast.

**Please** use the correct wire for the lamp sockets (solid conductor).

Ensure that you use tubes that are rated for your ballast.

Any questions... then just ask here.

Good luck!

Bodge99.

I built an LED/RGB Canopy and light system for my cichlid tank.
Here's a a YOUTUBE video.

I made a 1 minute cross fade from moonlight to
daylight. Then to show just how subtle it was there is a 3 second "sunset.

I am about to build my big tank. 120 long. I will be making a canopy and the lights
will be in what I call a "trolley" It will sit inside the canopy,
able to push back an inch to feed, and sit front end up at an angle for full
access, and removable

Last edited by a moderator:
if the ballast matches the bulbs you'll be using your OK, just be very careful...I Know from experience. Those skinny little wires pack a big (deadly) punch.
I got stuck to a ladder and electrocuted changinging a ballast once. It was burning a hole in my hand.. I was able to raise one leg and push free;;;;landing 20 feet below in the street in front of a car

Most reactions

Back