Diy Feeding Hole ?

l33d5.dr

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a jewel 180 with Discus that are doing well but when I lift the lid to feed them it really freaks them out. Does anyone know if there is anything on the market where I can drill the lid and fit a feeding hole , or has anyone come up with a good DIY one.

I have a Juwel Rio 180, is this what you mean? I would imagine it would really be on the small side for Discus. Mine has a hole at the back left of the lid, an automatic feeder fits there but you could just drop some in yourself.

Yes it's a jewel rio, a bit small I agree but they are only 3 months old and i'm hoping Santa will be bringing something bigger. It has no holes in the lid at all. Is the hole you mention a cut out at the back of the tank ? If so mine has inlet and outlet pipes from my filter as I removed the compact one to replace with a canister.

You can purchase a hole saw for your drill at most hardware stores. They come in various sizes and should work nicely for the job and produce a nice round hole which won't look like a DIY job.

Great idea from tcamos, then if you are lucky you might find a plastic container that fits in the hole, then cut the neck off and screw in the hole from the underneath then use the lid to plug it after you have finished feeding.
Hope you understand all that, I know what I mean lol.

I have a Rio tank and u can push the black handles on lid out to leave a hole saves cuttin.

It might be better to find the plastic container first then get the cutter slightly smaller, you can always sand it a bit if it is too small then keep trying the container to see if it screws in tight.

Great idea from tcamos, then if you are lucky you might find a plastic container that fits in the hole, then cut the neck off and screw in the hole from the underneath then use the lid to plug it after you have finished feeding.
Hope you understand all that, I know what I mean lol.
Nice finishing touch! I would not have thought of that.

How about a "Desk Cable Tidy" in the drilled hole? Would look very professional.

x5oz1x.jpg

Most reactions

Back