Diy Co2 System Falls At Last Hurdle

dhracer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've bought all the bits required for my CO2 injection but the output from the cylinder is the wrong size (see photo)

IMAG0042.jpg

Does anyone know what is the name of the part is (the brass output nipple thing) so I can buy a 4mm version? :blush:

Have you tried putting the end of the tube in boiling water, this will soften it until it cools down allowing you force it on the nipple whilst soft.

Hope that makes sense, and hope it works for you. Thats how I always put my Co2 tubing on things as it is a lot stiffer than normal airline. ( I see that you are using the same Co2 tuning as myself! )

Regards

Thing is by looking the outer dimension of the nipple seems to be bigger than the outer dimension of the pipe, let alone the inner dimension of the pipe where it needs to fit. I think there would be little chance of getting the pipe on there even heated, and then even less of ever getting it back off again (not that I know if that is needed or not)
Of course it could just be the perspective of the photo making it look that way.

It should work OK. I dip the end in the kettle for 15 seconds and then get it over the end quick. My glass J pipe is 6mm outer/4mm inner but I managed to get the CO2 hose on OK.

AC

Thanks for the suggestion.

I just tried the boiling water trick a few times, but no luck unfortunately :/ I think it's way too big, as Shmill says the outer dimension of the nipple is as big if not slightly bigger than the outer dimension of the CO2 tubing (it's about 8mm)

you will often see them refered to as "hose barbs" here in the States. Check the plumbing asle at your Home Depot equivalent / plumbing house.

If you cannot find the "right" part... you could sleeve the pair with "heat shrink tubing" or even "self amagamating tape" both available at electronic component dealers .. or I could help :rolleyes:

That looks right to me. when I bought mine it came with a blue plastic one identical in design to that. I just screw my needle valve into the slot though which meant I didn't need it.

AC

Good to hear, I've ordered it. Hopefully I can get everything working when this arrives.

Thanks for all the help everyone :good:

Finally got a suitable adapter (all the ones I've been ordering are discontinued :sly: ) but the regulator doesn't seem to be working properly :X so I'm giving up :blush:

Finally got a suitable adapter (all the ones I've been ordering are discontinued :sly: ) but the regulator doesn't seem to be working properly :X so I'm giving up :blush:
Racer, that black knob that was hanging down in your first picture of the hose barb needs to be tightened to bring the pressure up. What you do is loosen that knob, adjust your needle valve to be just barely open, open the bottle valve a turn or so off the closed seat and gradually turn the black knob in the tighter direction while watching your low pressure gauge. When the low pressure gauge gets to about 30 PSI, you can adjust the flow to the desired amount using the needle valve. If there is a plug on the regulator for a solenoid, it needs to be plugged in the whole time you are making the adjustments so that the solenoid valve won't interfere with the adjustment process.

Truck, no offense, maybe you missed where he said he finally got a good fit by getting the right fitting but was now having trouble getting the regulator to work.

Most reactions

Back