Diy Canister Filter

Garydos

Reaction score
Here are some photos of my DIY Canister filter. I made it out of an Esky, or little water cooler thingie with a screw on lid. It actually works well, but i didnt silicon it properly the first time and a little hole sprung up in the lid and leaked some water. So im gonna silicon the hell out of it and try again. should actually work well this time. I was worried about if the pump could handle the flow, its a small pump only 500 LPH. Anyway, heres some pics...

05072008050.jpg

The container...

05072008052.jpg

The lid and how all the fittings come out of it

05072008054.jpg

The inflow-outflow tubes that go into the tank.

05072008056.jpg

The bottom of the canister

05072008057.jpg

Have to silicon this to the bottom of the canister again...

05072008058.jpg

The bottom of the lid, with the pump and inflow tube that goes to the bottom of the canister.

FILTERWORK.jpg

Basicly this is the blueprint to how the filter works. The first media, which will probably be a sponge, will have a hole drilled in it so that the inflow tube can go through it to the bottom. The second media will probably be floss, and then the third will probably be ceramic rings... Probably haha we'll see! problem is i cant see inside the actual filter to know how much to top it up... only rough estimates... the prop up on the bottom makes a little resevoir for the "in" water to go and collect.

It actually is pumping water in and out of the canister, just a little tiny hole is seeping a small ammount of water in a section of the lid. You really have to add the silicon liberally. Ill update again when i get it working... it will work im pretty confident in that.

Thanks if u read this post.

-Moe

looks like a good start, well done. Keep us informed on its progress. :good:

hmmm interseting, going to the hardware store tonight, might look into those o rings.

What you see pictured there is a 1.25" electrical conduit (MPT / Slip) , pop up o-ring , 1.25" 90 degree barbed fitting / FPT. The oring would go on the inside.

I used those on my DIY 6 gallon canister filter and it seems to hold water good. I have not put pressure to the inside of the canister yet so I don't know how well they will work but they have proven with others to work

Most reactions

Back