Distilled Water

patfan

Reaction score
Can this be used in a fresh water aquarium ? If so would any additives have to be added ? I used to use ro water but that is no longer available Thanks for any help that you could give

Distilled water is pure water that has a pH of 7.0 and a GH of 0ppm. If you are keeping soft water fishes like neon tetras, then distilled water is fine. However, if you want guppies, platies, swordtails, mollies, goldfish or rainbowfish, then you will need to add minerals like calcium and magnesium to increase the GH to 200+ppm.

You should aerate bottled water (including distilled) for 30 minutes before using it in an aquarium containing fish or other life forms.

Would seachem replenish work if added to the water?
Why not just get some water conditioner? They are usually under $15 per bottle, and can last you a while if used properly.

If you are using it for soft water fish yes but I prefer RO water instead. I mix it with my local hard water to soften it for my tetras. Here distilled water is more expensive than RO water.

The place that i used to get ro water closed up. My water at my house is very hard and i have a very slow well that if i use any water for fish tank it tends to run well dry

You can use distilled water in the aquarium in a number of situations: First, when the water in the tank evaporates, the minerals will stay. You can increase the amount of water by replacing the evaporated water with distilled water. You can also use distilled water to lower the pH in the tank. This also reduces the carbon hardness of the water. Additionally, when the distilled water is remineralized, you can use distilled water to replace all the water in the aquarium.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Back