Disposable Welding Co2 Cylinders And Regulators

chrismr

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Well, I have more than one issue with most DIY co2 as my big tank is too big for it to be feasible.

I also have some problems with most injection based systems in that they are not only quite expensive (usually). The fire extinguisher is an option, but I prefer to stay away from anything to do with DIY when there is something sensitive involved...

So during my searches, I came across disposable welding cylinders and their regulators. Cheap and easy.

If you look at this page, you will see you can get 2 gas bottles (disposable) and a 2 gauge regulator for £40 (more or less).

Now, will these things work?

My plan EXACTLY !!!! lol apart from, I am using the cheapo reg (as it came with my welder...) and an additional needle valve, as you cannot control the flow properly with just the reg - remember these are designed to deliver a relativly large amount of gas for MIG welding, where as we only need perhaps one bubble a second !
After the needle valve I shall be using silicon tubing to a glass diffuser.

Good luck (and remember to buy ONLY CO2 - there are a few mixes for welding...)

Ok, well went out to the hardware store at lunch time... got 600 gram bottle and regulator and they cost less than £20.

As you said Rooster, will probably need a needle valve for this setup... did not consider this, but sure it will not be a problem getting one.

Will also need to get tubing of the correct diameter. Rooster - do you know if this is a standard diameter for these things?

Chrismr, i looked at that site a while back, it seems crazy to be so cheep but if it works you must let us all know, me more so ;-)

Personally, I think it seems reasonable rather than cheap...

The problem I have with CO2 kits as sold for aquariums is that simply because it is for pets the prices are usually at least twice what is reasonable.

And I don't like paying more for something because some companies like to take advantage...

Will let you know how it goes. If it works out, it will cost about the same at the nutrafin yeast based systems RRP... :lol:

Chrismr, i looked at that site a while back, it seems crazy to be so cheep but if it works you must let us all know, me more so ;-)

I deal with this company all the time... REALLY helpful good old fashioned service, tell em "Big Paul" sent you ! lol :good: (might get a bung !)

Ok, finding anything in a hardware store this weekend was impossible as its a bank holiday weekend and the only place I might have had luck was closed...

So I have been looking around on the net trying to find needle valves to use with the regulator and Co2 bottle I bought, but I am actually struggling to find any needle valves at all on the net. And I am normally pretty good at finding what I am looking for.

Anyone have any idea where I can get them online?

Also, I am trying to find some 4mm (outer diameter) hosing, but the smallest I can find right now it 5mm. Anyone know where I can get 4mm tubing?

THESE guys sell the type of needle valves that you need, i have not come across any other supplier of suitable needle valves in the UK (yet) the bad news is......as far as i am aware the minimum order from these people is £25, the needle valves are only about a tenner each so you would need to order 2 or 3 to make it worth your while, you also need a set of adaptors to attach to the needle valve to make it fit the hose tubing we use in our tanks, also the needle valve will probably have to be run inline rather than attached to the regulator unless you also have some suitable adaptors to do this.

The needle valve you want is: Clippard MNV-2

The adaptors you want are code no: 11752-1

Unfortunatly the adaptors are only sold in packs of 10 also, you only need 2, and are probably the same price as a single needle valve.

You also need to ring these guys, you cannot order over the internet.

Hi Chrismr,

I am also looking for the above addaptors and needle valve. If you like i would buy a set from you at split cost.

Get in touch asap.

Chris

Thanks Zig, might land up using them.

Might very well do that Chris.

Am still going to do just a little more searching first though. Hvve moved away from searching for "needle valves" as trying to be more general... it would be good to be able to put together something that would be cheap and easy for other people to do too. Only way to do that is to keep searching for now.

The radio controlled toy industry I think use the kind of valves we need.

Although, having never having worked with this kind of stuff before I am flying slightly blind and might be passing over things which would be perfect, and looking into things which are useless...

Have couple o fthings wanted opinions on:
needle valve

shut off valve

flow control valve

Are any of these what we need?

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
i`m unsure mate to be honest. My friend can get me one from work so i was just trying to reduce your cost so u need to get in touch asap if you do want to go halfs otherwise i`ll probably be sorted.

I do need the addaptors them i cant find, but i think we can fabricate something at work.

Let me know by wednesday since i need to get this CO2 bottle up and running

Chris

don`t know how sealed those units look. I know the pin vavle my mate can get is all brass. They look a bit cheap on ebay! The shut off vavle also does not look accurate enough but i suppose you cant tell exactly from the picture!

Chris

wow.. this is a brilliant way of doing it. I've not really looked into pressurised c02 until now cos it was just to expensive.

Can anyone confirm for me exactly what I'd need please? My initial impression is that I need the regulator, gas bottle and a needle valve. Is that correct or am I missing stuff?

Snetty, i`m just setting up a DIY system myself. From what it looks like you need a CO2 bottle obviously and then a regulator. It seems that some of the regulators made for planted tanks are accurate enough to reduce the outflow to a required amount! Yet like myself, a lot of DIy setups use industrial regulators for things like MIG welding CO2 canisters. Then u need a needle valve to regulate the flow even more accurately.

I`m setting mine up as we speak! I`d be interested to hear thumbs up or thumbs down whether that explanation is correct since thats my current understanding and how i`m looking to set it up.

Snetty, i`m just setting up a DIY system myself. From what it looks like you need a CO2 bottle obviously and then a regulator. It seems that some of the regulators made for planted tanks are accurate enough to reduce the outflow to a required amount! Yet like myself, a lot of DIy setups use industrial regulators for things like MIG welding CO2 canisters. Then u need a needle valve to regulate the flow even more accurately.

I`m setting mine up as we speak! I`d be interested to hear thumbs up or thumbs down whether that explanation is correct since thats my current understanding and how i`m looking to set it up.

Thanks for the answer craynerd. I think i'll be going the pressurised route once I've got my holiday out of the way.

Can you keep us updated on how things go?

Most reactions

Back