Discuss

mhancock

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I would love to get a couple of discuss, and know that they need warm water, but have heard that they also need RO water.

Do they absolutely need RO water, or is a well filtered and heavily planted tank OK?

Thanks,

Mark

What size is your tank? and what are your water stats? do you know the kh, gh, ph and possibly TDS?

What size is your tank? and what are your water stats? do you know the kh, gh, ph and possibly TDS?

225l tank, no ammonia or nitrites, and last time nitrates also zero (I was surprised by that). It is heavily planted though. pH 7.

I don't know kh, gh or TDS though.

Yes I've read discus need RO and I've also read daily water changes are required.

Your water is just fine if the pH is at 7. Chances are it couldn't be too hard at that point. While discus are a bit finicky due to low immune systems, most of the domesticated breeds will be just fine in most tap water perimeters, as long as you keep the water clean. The ones that really need RO water are wild discus, or it's typically needed if you plan on breeding them.

Your water is just fine if the pH is at 7. Chances are it couldn't be too hard at that point. While discus are a bit finicky due to low immune systems, most of the domesticated breeds will be just fine in most tap water perimeters, as long as you keep the water clean. The ones that really need RO water are wild discus, or it's typically needed if you plan on breeding them.

Thank you, that is really good news! Should I buy a pair or are they ok individually or in different numbers?

Also, are there any of the following that will not cope with 28 degrees or not be compatible with discus:
Angelfish, cardinals, kuhli loaches, swordtails, gourami, corys, harlequins, pleco, glowlight tetra, zebras. glass cats?
(

Gh and kh are the most important things. Discus need soft water and a ph of 6-6.5 but you might be able to get away with 7 if u gt realy hardy discus.

Thank you, that is really good news! Should I buy a pair or are they ok individually or in different numbers?

Also, are there any of the following that will not cope with 28 degrees or not be compatible with discus:
Angelfish, cardinals, kuhli loaches, swordtails, gourami, corys, harlequins, pleco, glowlight tetra, zebras. glass cats?
(
they do best as either a breeding pair or in a school of 6 or more. of the list, cardinal tetras, sterbai cories, some plecos (but they're messy, I'd advise against it due to the nitrate sensitivity of discus) will do best. I don't know about glass cats, but I know sword tails, most cory catfish, gouramis, kuhli loaches, zebra danios (that's what I'm assuming you meant by zebras) all require very different water perimeters and won't tolerate the high water temp or the soft acidic water. Some people manage to mix angels with discus, but angels can be quite bolshy and aggressive and may harass the discus.

I'd just do a school of discus, some cardinal tetras, and some sterbai cories and leave it at that, the discus school would take up a lot of the tank space as it is, and given how warm they like their water, they do limit your ability to make a big community.

DevotedToDiscus here on the forums knows a lot more than I do as well. I'm sure he'd be happy to help if you shot him a PM or something of the sorts.

Most reactions

Back