Discus Food

copied from another website

If you don't mind the cost $$ increasing the amount of fresh Atlantic Salmon and reducing the beefheart content is also an option. It is generally believed the salmon fish, which has aproximately the same protein content as beefheart, may be easier on the digestive tract of the discus.

seafood based diets are much better for the longterm health of the discus ( and all fish for that matter) . an excellent and fairly cheap discus food i used to use was

1 mug squid
1 1/2 mug prawn
1/2 mug hikari pellets
big douible handfull blanched spinnach
1/2 cup cooked shelled peas
5 cloves garlic
5 crushed multivitamins
5 crushed spirulina tablets
1 VERY ripe banana

the fish loved it ate like pigs, grew like weeds and if i remember rightly it cost me about a tenner to make and lasted about 2 or 3 months :good:

I have seen salmon used in discus mix. It is safe and healthy foe them.

The misses bought home a massive slab of it lol thatss all put a small bit in it fish did not go crazy over it .

seafood based diets are much better for the longterm health of the discus ( and all fish for that matter) . an excellent and fairly cheap discus food i used to use was

1 mug squid
1 1/2 mug prawn
1/2 mug hikari pellets
big douible handfull blanched spinnach
1/2 cup cooked shelled peas
5 cloves garlic
5 crushed multivitamins
5 crushed spirulina tablets
1 VERY ripe banana

the fish loved it ate like pigs, grew like weeds and if i remember rightly it cost me about a tenner to make and lasted about 2 or 3 months :good:

did you blend and freeze it Mark?

were the multivitamins human ones?

yeah blitzed it all up together and froze it mate , the vitamins were from tesco :good:

Most of the atlantic salmon availabe on the west coast of the US is farmed raised with the obligatory statement, "color added". I would assume this could be a risk to discus... unless you want their flesh nice and pink. :hyper:

I fed them it rore. But to be fair the clowns ate most of it lol

I have fed Salmon to my fish (offcuts from Mrs S cooking).
They all went mad for it, especially my Angels.

Discus are or can be picky fish. So I am not suprised they did not jump at it first time around. I got some new flake for my fish and it took a few days for them to like it now they go nuts for it.

Most reactions

Back