Dirty Unused Tank

PDX

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have recently decided to bring inside a very attractive corner tank which was used in the past for coldwater fish, it's been in the garden a good month but i emptied it of water from rain etc. (no leaks) and brought it in and it's currently standing in our dining room on the floor (much to the dismay of my fiancee).

To make the tank usuable all it needs is a filter new hood and heater (planning to put tropicals in it). The thought i have had is how would i clean this tank, it is obviously quite dirty from having rain water in it and anything else that has blown in etc i don't want to use something that could infect or damage the fish, i intend to do a fishless cycle with the tank once up and running but was just wondering what to clean it with?

Would warm water and a clean brush be best or is there some sort of cleaning fluid (washing up liquid?) i could use as long as it is rinsed properly afterwards?

Lots of things :) Ammonia being amongst the 'least toxic', since any leftovers will be used in the cycle, how water, elbow grease, vinegar... Just depends what the dort is and how tightly its attatched. A pallete knife is handy too :)

I think i saw a discussion on this forum once about using an ammonia based solution to clean it. Not sure of the outcome though.. My thoughts would be, how bad could that be.. you going to put ammonia in it anyway to cycle it.. just make sure it doesnt have any other nasties in it..

WARNING: the above is an opinion, not a definate way forward.. You should wait for clarification from the masses of people who are less of a novice than me.

EDIT: damn that feeshy fella.. hes just too quick.

Cheers
Squid

Thanks for your replies guys... very helpful. Sorry to sound thick but what sort of things contain ammonia? Would it be best just to buy a cycle formula containing amonnia and just use that to clean the tank?

Also i anticipate some sort of problem maybe getting a new hood for the tank as it is about 5-6 years old and the hood i had for it is now broken (the reason i got a new tank for the fish that where in it).

Does anybody have any idea how i could get hold of or even make my own hood that could house a light fitting.

I can provide measurements this evening or tommorow.

Thanks for your replies guys... very helpful. Sorry to sound thick but what sort of things contain ammonia? Would it be best just to buy a cycle formula containing amonnia and just use that to clean the tank?
Just use any old cheap and cheerful cleaning solution with ingredients of just ammnoia and water (and maybe chelating agents)

Also i anticipate some sort of problem maybe getting a new hood for the tank as it is about 5-6 years old and the hood i had for it is now broken (the reason i got a new tank for the fish that where in it).

Does anybody have any idea how i could get hold of or even make my own hood that could house a light fitting.
Corner tank hoods are probably going to be rather tricky to get hold of, I know I had trouble getting even a rectangular 18x12 hood -_- . It's probably be esier and cheaper to DIY one, I'd post in the DIY section.

Do you have a homebase near you..

I was recommended Homebase ammonia for doing a fishless cycle on my tank.

On the bottle it also says:

Cleans, Degreases, removes stains. 100's of uses.

so.. that might be a good start. u can use it for your fishless cycle when you've cleaned it.. was only a couple of quid.

Can't help on the hood front im afraid. You could try looking in the DIY section, or posting in there if you have no luck here..

Anyway.. good luck

Cheers
Squid

Most reactions

Back