Digital Cameras

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

FrankSlapperinni

Fish Herder
Reaction score
Just wondering, but what are the things you look for in quality digital cameras?
Because I've wanted to buy one but can't understand all of the technical jargon
involved in selecting the best one. Some pointers and suggestions would be
greatly appreciated .

What you should do is figure out what you most want to photograph. Myself I do a lot of macro photography, so I found the best ones for that. I use a sony 707. They now have a 717 with a few nicer upgrades that were added.
1 thing that digital have that you do not even want to look at is the "digital zoom". This just cause the picture to look terrible. What you do want to look for is "optical zoom".
The more meg pixels, the larger the file size, and overall better quality.
A good site for digital camera reviews is here:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/hardware_reviews.html

Some of my nature pictures with the Sony 505 and 707:

http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/photo.html

elgecko,

your nature pics are beutiful. youv'e got a good eye, which IMO goes farther than good equipment. A great photographer with a mediocre camera can take better pics than a mediocre photgrapher with a great camera. It's all in knowing your equipment and having the good eye :D

If you can afford it, the best digital camera is a Nikon. Those are pretty expensive, so your best bet is probably a sony. I have a DSC-P9 Cyber-Shot, it cost around 700 when I got it Compared to the top Nikon at 2,000-3,000, its a good deal. Mine is 4 megapixels.

I use a cheapy nikon coolpix 2100. it is 2 megapixel and $250 USD. not the best camera but with lots of practice I get pretty good pics from it.

would this be a good choice?
B00008IHU2.01.MZZZZZZZ.jpg

Olympus C-750 4MP Digital Camera w/ 10x Optical Zoom.
all the reviews I have read about it are good. the only negative comments are that it does not take high quality pictures indoors or in dark places, and that it uses a high quality Olympus XD card. even though it is suppsoed to be high quality, it is the only card the camera will take and it does not look like its worth $100-$225.I have no Idea what a low price would be so go figure. The camera itself costs $522.
it comes with a 16 mb XD card. how many pictures does that hold?

Here is the Product Description:
Point and shoot ease and full manual controls, the Olympus Camedia C-750 delivers sharp, crisp 4.0-megapixel images for print enlargements beyond 11 x 14 inches. The C-750 features a more compact body than its predecessor (the C-730), a new extra-low dispersion (ED) lens, movie mode, a built-in flash, and compatibility with XD memory cards. It also improves on the new C-740 with more megapixels (4.0 versus the 3.2 of the C-740), a 40x total zoom (10x optical and 4x digital zoom), addition of a hot shoe for external flash, an all metal body, and sound recording with movie mode.
Optics and Resolution
The 4.0-megapixel Olympus C-750 digital camera can capture images up to 2288 x 1712 pixels; it can also produce 3200 x 2400 pixel images through interpolation for extra-large prints. It boasts an outstanding Olympus aspherical glass 10x zoom lens with 11 lenses in 7 groups. When combined with the 4x digital zoom, you get a total zoom of 40x. The F2.8-F3.7 lens has a focal range of 6.3-63mm, or 38–380mm equivalent in 35mm photography. The ED coating on the lens helps reduce the purple fringing normally seen on larger zoom cameras.

The C-750 also features Olympus TruePic technology, which optimizes the image information captured on the CCD before the data is saved by using the brightness and color information of the neighboring pixels when processing the pixel data. This leads to digital pictures that set standards for picture sharpness, contrast, true colors, and gradation.

Storage and Transfer
With the C-750, you can store images on XD memory cards. With the included 16 MB XD card, you can store 16 images at HQ mode (2288 x 1712 pixels). Images can be downloaded to either a Mac or PC via USB connectivity, which means it can be connected to any USB-based Windows Me/2000/XP and Mac OS 8.6 or later computer without installing any software.

Movie Mode
In movie mode, the C-750 captures continuous video (with audio) at 15 frames per second in two formats: 320 x 240 (up to 16 seconds) or 160 x 120 pixels (up to 30 seconds). The QuickTime Motion JPEG format offers a limited resolution, which is great for capturing a short movie that can be e-mailed to friends and family, but is no replacement for a true camcorder.

More Features

TTL hot shoe, which supports Olympus FL-20 and FL-40 external flashes as well as select third-party flashes.
1.5-inch low-temperature poly-silicon LCD screen and electronic viewfinder.
Built-in flash with auto, red-eye reduction, slow synch, and fill in modes.
Stitch up to 10 frames to create a panorama effect with Camedia Master software when using Olympus brand XD memory cards.
Six scene program modes; Four customizable My Modes let you choose and save preferred settings
Image adjustment modes include sharpness, contrast, and saturation (adjustable +/- 5 steps).
Super macro mode gets as close as 1.2 inches away from your subject.
Power, Size, and Contents
The camera is powered by two CR-V3 lithium battery packs (LB-01, included); rechargeable AA-size NiMH batteries are recommended (four are needed to power the C-740). It measures 4.2 x 2.6 x 2.7 inches and weighs 10.4 ounces. This package includes the Camedia C-750 digital camera, 16 MB XD memory card, batteries, USB and A/V cables, wrist strap, and CD-ROM with Camedia Master imaging software and USB drivers for Windows and Mac.

At high quality (the only thing worth shooting) 16mb wont hold sh*t. However my sony only came with 8mb so look at it as a plus. YOu'll definately have to buy a 128mb or 256 card. If you do buy this camera, make sure you learn whats the largest card compatible with it and how much it costs.

i bought a canon powershot s200 and i luv it! it's super tiny and can make 60 sec videos with sound......my fish pix aren't good though but that's my fault not the camera! it has optical zoom and all! i like it. it cost me $500 i think but that's in canada

what I mainly want to know is if this camera can take good pictures though the water and glass of an aquarium, in other words, can I take good pictures of my fish?

OH yes it takes super good pix in macro mode or normal and glass doesn't affect it either! sometimes u get a reflection but not when u're up close.......or at diff angles

Hi Frank, I'd have to say, its a good choice :) I have the Olympus 730UZ and, i believe the main spec difference is mine is 3.2 and the 750 is 4mp (I thought it was called the 740 - maybe their is another??)

I tend to belive what has been written above - the photagrapher, not the camera can make a good picture opportunity an excellent one. I need to update my gallery (have been directly posting many pics to a forum) but your more than welcome to see the type of picture the 730 can take in myGallery.

I also agree that at low light it does not give the best quality picture, but you do have full manual control.At $500 (a bit more over here) it is just a mid range camera - oh, and I think the 10 x optical is still unsurpassed 8) Its not that bad though, have won FOTM twice and looking for a 3rd in 4 months :p

I'd go for it m8, its a relatively new model and you'd probably get 2/3rds of your money back in 18 months.

Aquari_Cam said:
I'd go for it m8, its a relatively new model and you'd probably get 2/3rds of your money back in 18 months.
whats does that mean?

anyway, I can tell from your camera pictures that indoor pictures will work just fine. Great pictures, by the way.

Most reactions

Back