Different Beneficial Bacteria For Fw And Sw?

llamalord305

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I was told that there are two kinds of beneficial bacteria, a set for fresh and a set for salt. But what about brackish? Does it have the FW or SW bacteria? Or both?

how i belive it to be very similar however obviously s.w develops in salt fresh in fresh and brackish and so on the cultvation period remains the saem i.e nitrosomas bacteria utilisies amonias energy as a foodsauce then has a photo period so they cultivate in the same way but for instance moving f,w species to salt water would have the same effect as if with fish so would render teh bacteria as dead if moved from 1 bio type to another

kind regards russell

Very broadly, saltwater bacteria will adapt down to quite low salinities, but freshwater bacteria won't tolerate even moderate salinities. So while freshwater filter bacteria can be taken to about SG 1.003, perhaps a little higher, from 1.005 upwards you're cultivating saltwater bacteria. On the other hand, saltwater bacteria can be acclimated down to SG 1.005 without problems. In other words, you could mature a brackish water aquarium quickly using substrate from a marine aquarium, but substrate from a freshwater aquarium would likely do little good.

Cheers, Neale

Yes, thanks Neale. I've always wondered which bacteria were predominant in brackish aquaria. I suppose the answer is that it depends on the salinity.

Most reactions

Back