Diatoms... Eurgh....

fishy55599

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
some reason diatoms have appeared on my rock and substrate :sad:

what causes it?
how long till it goes?

Abundant silicates in the water and other nutrients. How long until it disappears will depend on the CUC present (how much it's eaten) and how fast other photosynthetic things in the tank are able to deprive it of nutrients. Can be days to weeks depending on the tank and can come back again from time to time.

Funny how the same thing can have different effects on different people. Recently i was like hurray diatoms.

personally I would just leave them alone and allow them to burn themselves out.

When I set up my new tank I didn't clean the glass for at least 10 days while I had them. The more you let them grow the faster they will use up the nutrients.

Perfectly natural in a new tanks that's just cycled :good:

Funny how the same thing can have different effects on different people. Recently i was like hurray diatoms.

lol, really? find that hard to believe :unsure::lol:

personally I would just leave them alone and allow them to burn themselves out.

When I set up my new tank I didn't clean the glass for at least 10 days while I had them. The more you let them grow the faster they will use up the nutrients.

shall do :good:

but thought the cycle only happened when you have all rock not just 2.8kg? :blink:

clicked the button too many times? :lol:

lol, really? find that hard to believe :unsure::lol:

Lol i was worrying that my tank hadn't cycled even though I had 0 ammonia 0 nitirite and <5 nitrate. So i added a bit more LR and the levels didn't change but i've started to get diatoms. So hopefully means my tank is cycled :)

Most reactions

Back