Diagnosis Needed - Pic's

I Love my fishies

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi everyone I am not sure if you remember me or not I posted a few pic's on this froum of my beautiful boy Suay when i recievd him from Thailand (via Aqua bid) and I got some helpful advise from you all on keeping Bettas, as well as great advise with my 3 foot tank thank you.

Now I need your help again Suay has a massive lump under his gill/throat area he is still very active and is eating as normal I feed him a diet of frozen Mysis shrimp, frozen brine shrimp, frozen blood wrom and live black worm.

When I first noticed the lump I put some aquarim salt in his tank and it went down a little but about 1 week later is has appeared again and is massive and one side is alot bigger than the other side can anyone please advise me on what they think it is and if there is something I can get to help him i don't care how much it costs.

It is strange because his behaviour has not changed at all he eats well and is very active.

Sorry the pic's aren't very clear camera is not all that good for taking photo's of fish

Here are some pic's:

6.jpg
Suay1-1.jpg

3.jpg

one question, is he pooping at all? looks like extreme constipation to me. maybe a bath in epsom salt or some peas

Epsoms salt can be bought from a pharmacist/chemist without any problems.

But you could also just starve him for a day, also how about changing his diet a little. have you tried feeding him on some granulated betta food or anything ?

There is nothing wrong with the food you have been giving him but it sounds a little rich, if you rotate all of the above and give him a day where he is fed a little of the granulated and also give him at least one day where he isn't fed anything it will help with his digestion problem, only a suggestion so please don't get upset :/

Yeah it sounds and looks like he's very constipated.
Stop feeding him for a day or more. I know it's hard when they get so excited, you just wanna grab some food and feed them, but resist the cuteness!
If he's still bloated after a few days.. definitely try an epsom salt bath, or a little bit in his water.
I think I've read 1 teaspoon per gallon if you put it straight into the tank, but for a bath, it differs. I've used a little less to a tablespoon per gallon for a 15-30min bath.

If the bloating does go down though, just make sure to feed him less from now on and perhaps skipping a day just to let his system clear up.

Epsoms salt can be bought from a pharmacist/chemist without any problems.

But you could also just starve him for a day, also how about changing his diet a little. have you tried feeding him on some granulated betta food or anything ?

There is nothing wrong with the food you have been giving him but it sounds a little rich, if you rotate all of the above and give him a day where he is fed a little of the granulated and also give him at least one day where he isn't fed anything it will help with his digestion problem, only a suggestion so please don't get upset :/

Hi there Amerce I will get some epson salts from the chemist how much do i use? :)

Totally agree with you there but - I have fasted him a couple of days with no luck also he is a fussy little boy and will not eat grains or flakes I even fasted him for a week to try to get him to eat them but he wouldn't.

Yeah it sounds and looks like he's very constipated.
Stop feeding him for a day or more. I know it's hard when they get so excited, you just wanna grab some food and feed them, but resist the cuteness!
If he's still bloated after a few days.. definitely try an epsom salt bath, or a little bit in his water.
I think I've read 1 teaspoon per gallon if you put it straight into the tank, but for a bath, it differs. I've used a little less to a tablespoon per gallon for a 15-30min bath.

If the bloating does go down though, just make sure to feed him less from now on and perhaps skipping a day just to let his system clear up.

I teaspoon per gallon thanks Amunet :)

I popped into the vet on my lunch break today and showed her the pic's she said it is most likely a tumor :( and it would cost $200 AU to operate that is IF the tumor is not in his liver if it is the tumor cant be removed :( but she said that is only a guess without seeing him in person.

I don't mind spending the money even if betta's only live for 3 years, its amazing that a Betta can be operated on.

but I am going to try the Epson salts and hope it is just constipation fingers crossed.

Thanks for your help guys I will keep you posted :)

looks like constipation to me. When you get the epsom salts I can find out the dosage....have to look it up. He sure is lovely, keep a close eye on him though in case he starts pineconing (looking from above his scales stick out like a pineapple) but hopefully he just has to poo!

Epsom salts = magnesium sulfate. It is sold under both names.

I've never seen a seriously constipated betta so I can't help, but this might:
I had a badly bunged up platy. Nothing had been through her for three days and she was refusing food and looking really sick. So I tried one of Wilder's tricks. Get a clove of garlic and chop it into a couple of pieces. Crush them with the back of a knife. Roll shelled, defrosted frozen peas in this juice and cut them into small pieces about the size of betta pellets. See if he eats those. Not sure if he will, but I got a few of them down the platy.

Other fish health people: Is it possible that that thing is an abscess? It's possible that the fish got constipated or developed stomach ulcers (from being fed a bit too much rich food) and that this caused swelling and pus. In that case, knocking the fish out and bursting the thing with a pin might help, but definitely don't try it unless you're sure that's what it is. That's just an idea, everybody else is probably right.

Hi

I have treated for swelling before with Epsom salts, at a dose of 2 teaspoons per 50 litres, which worked fine. You could add the same again on day 2 if there is no change. If it is constipation I would stop feeding (except the peas)

Lee

I popped into the vet on my lunch break yesterday and showed her the pic's she said it is most likely a tumor and it would cost $200 AU to operate that is IF the tumor is not in his liver if it is the tumor cant be removed but she said that is only a guess without seeing him in person.

I don't mind spending the money even if betta's only live for 3 years, its amazing that a Betta can be operated on.

last night I did an espon salt treatment Table Salt and Epson Salt Treatment: Dissolve 2 tablespoons of table salt and 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts in a gallon of water. Leave fish(es) in solution for 4-6 hours. Then add a gallon of untreated water, and leave fish(es) in weaker solution for 12 hours. Then return fish to community tank. Do this treatment in a 'hospital' tank. Treats Bloat

I hope it is just bloat/constipation or over feeding and not a tumor :(

I'm really sorry and hate to mention dropsy as no seems to of yet.(soz if i've missed it) My Miss Floosie was like this for some time and then pineconed and died. Epsom salts are a must asap. Internal bacteria meds too does anyone think?

[URL="http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hddropsy.htm"]http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hddropsy.htm[/URL]

His scales have not pine coned and the lunp is bigger on one side the swelling is not even all over so I don't think its dropsy .... I lost my little gold fish to Dropsy about 3 weeks ago :( poor MR Wigglesworth

I popped into the vet on my lunch break yesterday and showed her the pic's she said it is most likely a tumor and it would cost $200 AU to operate that is IF the tumor is not in his liver if it is the tumor cant be removed but she said that is only a guess without seeing him in person.

last night I did an espon salt treatment Table Salt and Epson Salt Treatment: Dissolve 2 tablespoons of table salt and 2 tablespoons of Epsom salts in a gallon of water. Leave fish(es) in solution for 4-6 hours. Then add a gallon of untreated water, and leave fish(es) in weaker solution for 12 hours. Then return fish to community tank. Do this treatment in a 'hospital' tank. Treats Bloat

I hope it is just bloat/constipation or over feeding and not a tumor :(

I'm really sorry and hate to mention dropsy as no seems to of yet.(soz if i've missed it) My Miss Floosie was like this for some time and then pineconed and died. Epsom salts are a must asap. Internal bacteria meds too does anyone think?

<a href="http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hddropsy.htm" target="_blank">http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/hddropsy.htm</a>

His scales have not pine coned and the lunp is bigger on one side the swelling is not even all over so I don't think its dropsy .... I lost my little gold fish to Dropsy about 3 weeks ago :( poor MR Wigglesworth
you should never use table salt to treat fish, as it contains iodine which can be deadly to fish. coarse sea salt is fine, as long as it is sea salt only, no other ingredients, or of course aquarium salt.

also if the problem is caused by water retention, ordinary salt will make the problems worse not better, this is why it's recommended to use epson salts. this is due to the fact that water retention is caused by kidney problems which will make it harder for the fish to regulate its salt levels, which in turn can cause water retention.

Most reactions

Back