Desperate! Worms Delivered My Vallisneria Spiralis - Tiger

Nosnibor

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello all,

I had Vallisneria Spiralis delivered from www.aquaessentials.co.uk and we have noticed that a 1" worm (pictured below) and at least one more 2mm worm are hanging around the roots. We've only just planted the tank and were planning on getting the fish tomorrow but we are very worried that these worms will harm the new fish.

We managed to catch the 1" worm and took it's profile (see below), so if anyone can help us here and let us know if it's anything we need to worry about or will the fish just eat them we will be very appreciative. Amongst others we are getting a couple of Bristlenose catfish.

Many thanks in advance, here are the pictures.

Picture 1

Picture 2

Picture 3

Picture 4

Sorry about the size -_-

Martin & Nina :good:

looks like a leach to me , blood sucker ,mother natures vampire does not eat plants

I concur! :nod:

What fish are you getting besides the catfish?
Hello,

Sorry I should have given the full list, it is:

Bristlenose Catfish
Cardinal Neon
Pearl Gourami
Sunset Gourami
Kribensis

Will this worm cause anym harm to the fish at all?

Thank you
Martin :good:

Hopefully you are not stocking the tank with all of those fish at the same time? Even heavily planted tanks would probably suffer a fairly high ammonia then nitrIte spike.

I had a similar worm in my plants ages ago. I only found one and it went to the worm pool in the sky pretty quickly. I would expect fish to eat them if they see it wriggling, though I am unsure if they pose a danger to fish? I can't think that AE have their plants housed with fish so whatever it has been living on it is not likely anything alive?

Hopefully you are not stocking the tank with all of those fish at the same time? Even heavily planted tanks would probably suffer a fairly high ammonia then nitrIte spike.

I had a similar worm in my plants ages ago. I only found one and it went to the worm pool in the sky pretty quickly. I would expect fish to eat them if they see it wriggling, though I am unsure if they pose a danger to fish? I can't think that AE have their plants housed with fish so whatever it has been living on it is not likely anything alive?

Managed to sort out a course of action on this one now thanks :good:

Yes with regards to the fish stock, the tank is perfectly 'fully' cycled with the best water composition :)

Cheers
Martin :good:

Depends what you mean by fully cycled? Unless it has ran with that level of fish load for a good few months then you could still see issues with ammonia/nitrIte.

tanks just finished fishless ccyling, the process develops nitrifying bacteria to cope with levels of 5ppm of ammonia, a full stocking should still produce less than this so it's safe to stock fully or nearly so

Most reactions

Back