Depressed Gourami

TheOrangeJobber

Reaction score
I have two male red dwarf gourami, one is big and healthy, the other is small and scraggy - it was smaller when I got it home from the petshop and its tail was a bit scraggy but I thought it will get better soon, however it hasn't - the big gourami chases it everywhere and now it just hides under a rock all day, yesterday I think it was trying to commit suicide because it kept swimming far away, turning onto his side and then swimming quickly and hitting his head on the rock, last week I kept it in a breeding box away from the other fish and it seemed to perk up a tiny bit, but I obviously can't keep him in there forever, what is up with him?

I have two male red dwarf gourami, one is big and healthy, the other is small and scraggy - it was smaller when I got it home from the petshop and its tail was a bit scraggy but I thought it will get better soon, however it hasn't - the big gourami chases it everywhere and now it just hides under a rock all day, yesterday I think it was trying to commit suicide because it kept swimming far away, turning onto his side and then swimming quickly and hitting his head on the rock, last week I kept it in a breeding box away from the other fish and it seemed to perk up a tiny bit, but I obviously can't keep him in there forever, what is up with him?

Sounds like he is getting stressed by being chased.

Size of tank in gallons or litres.
How many fish and which type.
Water stats in ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and ph.

He does sound stressed and he could be ill, so the fish are picking on it.
Does he look bloated or thin.
What does it look like when he goes to the toilet.
Swimmng on there sides can be bacterial, swim bladder, internal parasites.
Check the fish anus to see if its looks enlarged or red and inflamed.

Most reactions

Back