Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

One_Trick_Pony

Steals the show
Reaction score
Ok guys,

i have a roughly 40 us gallon tank, from adivce on here and other forums, it seem a good fit would be either,

around 12-15 demomansi

or

2m/6f Pseudotropheus Saulosi (maybe 3m/9f, but only with great filteration)

and basically i cant decide! what do you guys think

I would always vote Demasoni as i think they are the most stunning Mbuna species there is. There are however 2 major issues to consider with Demasoni:

1. They are extremely aggressive and very intolerant of their own kind - A species only tank works provided there is a very limited number of males and plenty of room for them to establish territories.

2. Demasoni are not hardy fish and succumb to disease fairly easily. They are therefore better when added to a mature tank and are very unlikely to survive a cycling process.

Another bit of useful information is that Demasoni tend to work extremely well with yellow labs, which is unusual given that they are at opposite ends of the aggression scale, the theory on this is that the Demasoni simply don't perceive the labs as a threat. This combination makes for a visually stunning tank with the stark colour contrast.

On the plus side for Saulosi though is the vast appearance difference between the males and females. A species Saulosi tank is also very pleasing on the eye because of this. Saulosi also tend to be more disease/illness resistant and are readily available in most LFS.

Hope that helps.

Ferris,

thankyou, i do not feel confident that there would be room, to add yellow labs as well as 15 demonsi in the tnak?

in the hypothatically 15, would you say 3/4 males

pete

Saulosi all the way!
I only have 2 males and 6 females (soon to be 4M and 12F) at the moment in a 75 uk gallon tank and there stunning to watch with no major aggression problems.

You certainly couldn't keep the 15 Demasoni and labs, you would need to go with say 6 of each, taking into account the larger size of labs, 15 total would be too many for that tank.

If you go with a Demasoni species tank and given that the tank in question is 40 gal, i would stick to 2 males. Any more and you are likely to have problems. It is however very difficult to sex these fish, especially at a young age so you may have to return any additional males at a later stage.

surprisingly...... SAULOSI :good:

you mention a tank of 15 demasonis or 8/12 saulosi's either way you'll nned to have additional filtration regardless of which one it is.... filtration is all about the numbers game :D

if you go the 6 demasoni 6 lab route you will probably end up with 1 demasoni and 6 labs....

Demo's in a group of less than 12 is a no no. i know many people who have tried 6/8/10 and it always ends in a failure..

sometimes you can get lucky with 2 in a large tank as there are sooo many other fish in there that the dominant demo does not vent his anger on the other...

For peace of mind, I would go the saulosi route...

Also i have never had a health problem with saulosi, but i have had lots of problems with the 10 demasoni i have owned over the years (only 2 have ever survived)

The decision is yours GOOD LUCK whatever it will be :D

And let us know what you decide. :D (+ pics :hyper: )

ok heres thank so far...only just finished filling it so is still cloudy

Saluositankunclear.jpg

Saluositankunclearangle.jpg

also i am not sure if the background will stay black or if i will go for a blue one

Demasoni all they way! hehe.

But a colony of Ps.saulosi is alway pleasing to watch.

Nice tank you got.Can't wait to see the saulosi in there :)

Saulosi all the way, blue and yellow is the best colour combo there is. And Demasoni are really aggressive to each other, believe me I had 4 in a 7 foot long tank and am now left with only 1 :crazy:

Most reactions

Back