Deltec Mc500 Skimmer

pmb_67

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,

Just installed my new MC500 as despite all efforts I couldn't get my Tunze skimmer to work consistently - probably as the flow through the zone of the sump it was sat in was just too turbulent for it.

Just wondering if anyone has any tips for easy set-up of the new skimmer? It's in the same sump zone, sitting on the sump floor. I closed the air tap as per the instructions, but haven't yet fiddled with the weir plate. Apparently this should be set so the water level is 5cm/2" below the housing top - which is weird as when used in-tank the body should sit 8cm out of the water, according to the same instructions...

Initial switch-on gave mountains of watery foam and loads of bubbles in the tank - is this just a typical running-in issue? If so I may move it to an old spare tank and let it run-in for a few days...

That's all for now,

Paul

PS I'm assuming this thing will quieten down after a running-in period? Bit noisy so far!

PPS Anyone want to buy a used Tunze 9010?!!! :shifty:

Might be worth playing with it hanging on something like a 10g tank to get a feel for it :)

Might be worth playing with it hanging on something like a 10g tank to get a feel for it :)

Yeah, was wondering about that - figured I could use my water preparation tank (an old 70-litre tank with busted built-in lights), taking extracted tank water next water change and maybe chuck in a little food? Trouble is it's a bit of a pain to extract the skimmer unit (cup's ok!) from the sump - remember folks, if going marine get a proper tank set up instead of trying to convert a basically-designed-for-freshwater Rena :crazy:

Paul

I have one of the deltecs and setting it up can be a bit of trial and error. Basically you need to adjust the air intake and cup height little bits at a time till you get the right air flow for the cup height. Once you have it set and your happy with the output, make sure you run a black marker across the front clear bit of the cup to ensure you put it back at the same level every time after emptying.

As for the noise, couple of tips after many years of trying - wrap the motor unit in 3 or 4 rubber bands to ensure that there is no gap between the motor and the sides of the unit as this is the best way to quiet it down. Whilst is is a well crafted peice of equipment, any gap and the motor can end up vibrating against the sides of the unit, hence the elastic bands. Also if you talk or email nicely to deltec they will give you a new set of bushes for the ends of the ceramic shaft which are stonger than the old ones they used to ship, again I found if you wrap some plumbers tape also around the end it makes a much tighter seal and also reduces noise.

The last part is whether your tank has mature water or not. When I first set up with new water etc, it was a bit feisty but eventually it calms down..... part of the joys of the salty side. Good luck

Daz

I have one of the deltecs and setting it up can be a bit of trial and error. Basically you need to adjust the air intake and cup height little bits at a time till you get the right air flow for the cup height. Once you have it set and your happy with the output, make sure you run a black marker across the front clear bit of the cup to ensure you put it back at the same level every time after emptying.

Nice tip, thanks Daz. Am still tinkering with the valve - there's such a fine line between a big frothy mess and a whole lot of nothing happening... seems to be getting less variable though, so staying hopeful :)

As for the noise, couple of tips after many years of trying - wrap the motor unit in 3 or 4 rubber bands to ensure that there is no gap between the motor and the sides of the unit as this is the best way to quiet it down. Whilst is is a well crafted peice of equipment, any gap and the motor can end up vibrating against the sides of the unit, hence the elastic bands. Also if you talk or email nicely to deltec they will give you a new set of bushes for the ends of the ceramic shaft which are stonger than the old ones they used to ship, again I found if you wrap some plumbers tape also around the end it makes a much tighter seal and also reduces noise.

Nice tip again, ta. :good: According to Deltec's website - and assuming that as I bought this v recently and its delivery was delayed due to delays shipping from Germany it's the very latest spec - it should have the Deltec silencing kit with new style bushes etc.

The last part is whether your tank has mature water or not. When I first set up with new water etc, it was a bit feisty but eventually it calms down..... part of the joys of the salty side. Good luck

The water's pretty mature - tank's been going a good while now, I'm just switching to the Deltec as I couldn't get good results with my Tunze. I did read elsewhere that freshly-cleaned skimmers can give the same sort of effects I'm seeing, so wondering if I'm getting same due to it being new.

Paul

Hi Paul,

One other tip I also found was some flake food used to send the unit mental and simply chuck water through the cup rather than foam. In fact I think a posted a question on it once as I was ready for chucking it in the bin. Persevere, they worth it in the end.

Hi Paul,

One other tip I also found was some flake food used to send the unit mental and simply chuck water through the cup rather than foam. In fact I think a posted a question on it once as I was ready for chucking it in the bin. Persevere, they worth it in the end.

Well, I'm getting there. Yesterday evening I found a really good setting on the air pump and collection cup and had me a nice couple of centimetres of dirty, cruddy water this morning. Popped the cup back in, got home from work this evening and nada, nichts, rien, nothing - not even a full cup of clear water like if the unit had gone bonkers after the wife's morning flake feed...

Turned the air tap a little bit and it's off again, getting some more gacky foam again now :)

Next question - how do I get rid of micro bubbles? The skimmer's foam thingmy isn't cutting it, neither are the baffles (3, such that water goes over/under/over before hitting the sump return pump) - even tried putting foam things (Fluval 3+ pads I had spare for my freshwater tank!) in there seeing as Deltec (and TMC, remembering back to my V2-Skim experiment - messy floor, don't go there) seem to think foam aids degassing. Any more tips?

Paul

Hi mate,

glad you are getting there. unfortunately I havent had a problem with micro bubbles so I'm not sure what advice to give, hopefully so one will see the thread and comment.

Daz

Most reactions

Back