Deciding Which Fish To Pick

IONMEL

Reaction score
i have a 29 gallon tank, freshwater, 2 filtration systems ,live plants, c02 enhancer, heater, i would like to have an assortment of semi-aggressive fish, can anybody help me out?

well i have community fish now, but i think semi aggressive are better looking in general

and another question is how many fish do i put in 29 gallon tank

Have a look here. I think it is work in progress, but a pretty useful tool!

Squid

so if i put 2 jack dempsey 2 parrot, 3 bala shark and 2 disguise that should be all right if there all the same size?

so if i put 2 jack dempsey 2 parrot, 3 bala shark and 2 disguise that should be all right if there all the same size?

bala sharks can grow up to 14 inches, so you would be looking at around 125-150 gallon just for them, they also need to be kept in groups of 5+.

Jack Dempsey can grow to 10", so 45 gallons for a single fish minimum.

So not a suitable stocking im afraid..

Agreed with above you would need a much much bigger tank for all them just due to the size and agression I wont go over the size again its been said but just know that none of them can live in your tank.

If you want a semi aggressive tank stick to dwarfs, there are tons of smaller options for tanks that are just a bit harder to find but not impossible! Although as for aggressive being more colourful is debateable there are a lot of quite peaceful fish that have just stunning colour. For example a Orange Thick Lipped gourami or dwarf cockatoo cichlids

For example in a 29 gallon tank you could consider something like
3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlid - keep 1 male with 2 females)
1 Orange thick lipped Gourami
8 Flame tetras (also known as Von Rio tetras)
6 Dwarf Chain Loach or Zebra Loach (not clowns these get far to big for a 29)

Wills

With all due respect, it's helpful to do a little bit of reading at the same time as asking for help, or at least not ignore suggestons. I gave you a link to play around with stocking, and it would have told you that this selection in your tank would not just be slightly wrong, but a pretty bad idea.

A lot of people on this forum to help you, but you have to put the time in too.

Cheers,
Squid

With all due respect, it's helpful to do a little bit of reading at the same time as asking for help, or at least not ignore suggestons. I gave you a link to play around with stocking, and it would have told you that this selection in your tank would not just be slightly wrong, but a pretty bad idea.

A lot of people on this forum to help you, but you have to put the time in too.

Cheers,
Squid

yea i tried that but the fish i want to put in there arent all listed , it a great site thanx again

Agreed with above you would need a much much bigger tank for all them just due to the size and agression I wont go over the size again its been said but just know that none of them can live in your tank.

If you want a semi aggressive tank stick to dwarfs, there are tons of smaller options for tanks that are just a bit harder to find but not impossible! Although as for aggressive being more colourful is debateable there are a lot of quite peaceful fish that have just stunning colour. For example a Orange Thick Lipped gourami or dwarf cockatoo cichlids

For example in a 29 gallon tank you could consider something like
3 Apistogramma Cacatuoides (cockatoo cichlid - keep 1 male with 2 females)
1 Orange thick lipped Gourami
8 Flame tetras (also known as Von Rio tetras)
6 Dwarf Chain Loach or Zebra Loach (not clowns these get far to big for a 29)

Wills

thanx alot i didnt know there were dwarf cichlids im new to this

Ah right cool no probs yeah there are pretty much dwarf everything. To be fair this sites fish profiles are quite limited and its often good to read up on a few sites, that way you get a few oppinions and if the information differs quite a lot double check with people on here. :) One of my favorite sites is seriouslyfish.com and for catfish planet catfish is fantatic as well

Well, if you want all semi agressive your bound to have some problems. They will definitly fight. & if its your first tank i suggest getting non - agressive fish.

-Seth Stone

Most reactions

Back