Dead/dying Adf

sillypony

Reaction score
OK so yesterday I took out all my gravel, and put sand in. (bc most of my fishes, i have discovered, like sand better) And every one is uber happy- except one ADF. I found him laying on his back in a cave. I put him in a cup and took him and a water sample ot the LFS- they said my ammonia is high and thats why he was dying. I left him there, bc they said he was beyond help.

Well now I'm at home, checking my water. And my ammonia is 0 according to my test, but nitrite is .25. I know this is high, and i am going to do a water change. But is it high enough to kill an ADF? I have 2 other ADF's in there, and they seem pretty ok... Everyone else seems to be loving the new sand.

My concern is that, if it wasn't the water levels, was he sick? I don't want to lose my fish. It is possible he was bullied- which is why i took him in, in hopes they could determine if he looked beat up or not. I have 3 loaches and 2 2" plecs in there who usually ignore them, but are not shy about pushing them outta the way.

I'm about to do a water change, and put the other 2 frogs in the 10 gallon w/ the tetras for observation, I just wanted to make sure that kind of water parameter change was something that would harm the frog. I don't like unexplained deaths.

LeeAnna

" I don't like unexplained deaths."

Your tank isnt cycled, you know you have a nitrite reading and possibly an ammonia reading if your test kit is working right or if your using it incorrectly which is common.

I'd say the death is pretty well explained, or at the very least you know where to start....

"My concern is that, if it wasn't the water levels, was he sick?"

What do you mean, it is the water levels, you have a reading of nirtite and the fish stores test say ammonia, in case you didnt know .25 nitrite PPM isnt ok.

Do a water change immediatley.

You also didnt give us crap for info on your tank size, setup, tankmates (besides loaches, plecs, and tetras... this means nothing you realize that? You do know what kind of fish you are keeping I assume?) ALL of your readings, how long the tank has been setup, filtration...need I go on? A little more info if needed if your looking for any kind of helpful answer.

Might aswell invest in a test kit, that should be bought before the fish FYI. And your gonna need one, especially with your nitrite spike.

Out of curiosity, what were you feeding him, how were you feeding him, and when did you feed him? They dont eat flakes FYI. Im betting your frogs were and are very hungry because of the other fish outcompeting them for food and them not being fed the right food.

Drew

Well, what a NICE reply.

The spike was purely because of the gravel change, the (55 gallon) tank was cycled before that- i asked around before the change, read up: but apparently not enough. I didn't realize how much bacteria I would be taking out (I thought most of it was in the sponge filters.) I had already done a water change by the time I posted, and I have an ammonia, a nitrite, a nitrate, a pH, a gh and a kh kit. I tested everything daily until it cycled a couple weeks ago, with water changes every few days, and have done weekly tests and water changes since. My levels are already back down to 0.

I am well aware that the frogs don't eat flakes. The danios don't let any get past them anyways. And while there is competition for food, there was plenty of shrimp pellet around for the frogs- i had seen them eat more than once. SO, you lost that bet, thanks. I moved them to the 10 gallon w/ the tetras and trumpet snails right after I posted (I wanted to do the water change on it before I moved them) and they act fine.

My concern was not that the deaths were 'purely' unexplained, but because I wanted to make sure the nitrite was 'enough' to cause it- no one else seemed affected by it except the one frog, thus my concern that it was possibly sick, and that this would then spread to the other fish. (Note the IF in my question.) This concern was further increased by the fact that the only workers at my LFS when I went in were the young kids who I don't entirely trust, and that my readings seemed to conflict theirs.

Oh and btw, I CAN read, and the instructions on the kits are MORE than clear. So yea, no need to worry that I am 'misusing' the test kit. Thanks for the concern...

So i apologize for a less than clear post, but there is NO need to reply so hostilely. I am not without a clue, and do know about cycling, maintenance and feeding. Thanks :D

LeeAnna

While I have little experience with amphibians, what was the ppm of nitrite? Wait, sorry, you said .25. I know making assumptions is dangerous (from experience) however, I think that is enough to kill an ADF. Past the point of no return, I don't know. Also, you may want to add filter media (not too much) from another tank into this tanks filter.

Most reactions

Back