Danios, Guppies, Mollies All Together With Figure 8 Puffer?

biguptheredman

Reaction score
can i put a group of danios, guppies and mollies in with my pufferfish? i want to populate my tank cheaply hence the breeding fish

It is not impossible to have Puffers with other fish as they tend to turn aggressive with age. However they can turn at anytime and if you dont notice you could have trouble on your hands so best to keep them apart.

Okay, the figure-8 puffer is a brackish water fish. Won't last long in freshwater, and will be very prone to disease. So, keep at not less than SG 1.003.

Next up, the Mollies. Again, brackish water is best for them. While they will thrive in the same conditions as the figure-8, puffers can be nippy towards slow moving livebearers. In a really big tank (250+ litres) you might be fine, but anything less is a serious gamble. Mollies are aggressive and shouldn't be mixed with guppies. Fancy guppies especially are very slow moving and (frankly) stupid and both the puffers and the mollies pose a major threat.

Danios are freshwater fish with little to no tolerance of salt. They have no place in the brackish water aquarium.

Pufferfish are best treated as subjects for a single species aquarium. There are some exceptions. Among the marine puffers, Arothron spp. often work quite well with other robust saltwater or high-end brackish species. Some of the freshwater species are relatively safe as well if you choose the right tankmates. I keep South American and Red-tail puffers in my community tank with fast tankmates (glassfish, bleeding heart tetras, halfbeaks). But even the South Americans will nip at Corydoras, cardinals, and anything too slow and dozy.

Cheers, Neale

can i put a group of danios, guppies and mollies in with my pufferfish?

Okay, the figure-8 puffer is a brackish water fish. Won't last long in freshwater, and will be very prone to disease. So, keep at not less than SG 1.003.

Next up, the Mollies. Again, brackish water is best for them. While they will thrive in the same conditions as the figure-8, puffers can be nippy towards slow moving livebearers. In a really big tank (250+ litres) you might be fine, but anything less is a serious gamble. Mollies are aggressive and shouldn't be mixed with guppies. Fancy guppies especially are very slow moving and (frankly) stupid and both the puffers and the mollies pose a major threat.

Danios are freshwater fish with little to no tolerance of salt. They have no place in the brackish water aquarium.

Pufferfish are best treated as subjects for a single species aquarium. There are some exceptions. Among the marine puffers, Arothron spp. often work quite well with other robust saltwater or high-end brackish species. Some of the freshwater species are relatively safe as well if you choose the right tankmates. I keep South American and Red-tail puffers in my community tank with fast tankmates (glassfish, bleeding heart tetras, halfbeaks). But even the South Americans will nip at Corydoras, cardinals, and anything too slow and dozy.

Cheers, Neale

can i put a group of danios, guppies and mollies in with my pufferfish?

BULL####TIN ####s it's been set up for 6 months with no problems...hahahhahahahaha #### off

Most reactions

Back