Damn Snail

mrtash

Reaction score
Well hello,

I have been finding the odd very small snail in my larger tank, i am proberbly about to answer my own question, but, as i have never bought any snails do you get smails free accidently when you buy fish. This is only the second one i have found and have removed both of them. Am i likely to carry on finding the little buggers, and do they do any harm? or good?

Thanks

Tashman

they tend to come in on live plants i have found but if you run them under warm water before placing them in the tank it usually will clean off the eggs. hopefully you wont get too many more just dont squash them against the tank as it can then let out loads of them. i had a bad case of them but evry time i saw some i would remove every one i could and i eventually got rid of them all. but generally i have found they come in on plants.

I have gotten free snails with plants and once in a while with a fish. Snails can be a pest if you have a tendency to overfeed a tank. They will multiply to the available food supply which can mean lots of snails in a short time. Snails can also benefit a tank if you can keep their numbers low. They do clean up uneaten food and also will eat some kinds of algae.

but if youre lucky enough to get an "infestation" in a puffer tank, you luck out. free food. lol

they tend to come in on live plants i have found but if you run them under warm water before placing them in the tank it usually will clean off the eggs. hopefully you wont get too many more just dont squash them against the tank as it can then let out loads of them. i had a bad case of them but evry time i saw some i would remove every one i could and i eventually got rid of them all. but generally i have found they come in on plants.

thanks guys, and gals, i will be buying new plants today, so will rinse them off first.

Most reactions

Back