Dalejr_802 Tank Pictures

hey guys i just bought 2 percula clown fishs........im just wondering if they will pair up because both of them are the same size and i want them to breed later on..........and one of my clown has some scar i did not recognize this when i was buyin him do u htink he would be fine

I'd be more worried about the damsel picking on them. If they're kept in a low-stress environment with good food they'll heal scars. Clowns are very hardy fish and can survive some significant injuries. I've seen some live with only one pectoral fin...

Chromis would be fine but they're a little too boring for my tasts. I'd prefer gobies or wrasses

so ur saying that gobies and wrasses are schooling fish too n do u think its good to add gobies right now or should i wait until my tank is fully stablish

heh, no no, gobies and wrasses to the contrary are not schooling fish. The only exception there is that neon gobies are pretty communal, but they hide a lot. Gobies and wrasses are more individual fish than anything. I'd wait at least 2-3 weeks after adding these clowns before you put any other fish in. You dont want to overload your tank's biological capacity too quickly.

as said above i woudn't have put the damsels in the tank your tank would have cycled ok with just the LR

the clown fish should be fine once you have got the damsel out, as for pairing up its possible what you have there at the moment is 2 male fish if they begin to pair up 1 will become aggressive to the other and will grow much bigger the smaller 1 will become quite submissive mite even seem to be begging for forgiveness at times this is when the hormones in the fish are changing the bigger one will be the female and the poor little one will be the male, such as life :lol:

have you thought about firefish they are fine little fish very colourful you mite even get a pair in your tank
or even a dwarf angel like a coral beauty then there is fish like the royal gramma depends on what you want really but i'd try and keep quiet community fish rather than the agressive types

i'd get the damsel out let your clown fish settle down for a few days then yes you could add your shrimps they don't add much to the bio load of the tank

but may i also advice patience take your time i've been told the slower set up tanks always turn out the best enjoy what you have in there already my live rock and clean up crew kept me good for months before i even put any fish in

looks good though keep it up :good: :good:

have you tried the 2 net method hold 1 net vertically in the tank could do with it being quite a large net to cover as much area as poss then use the other net behind the fish to chase him out then hopefully he'll swim into the big net :D :D
but with all that rock in there it could be hard to get him swimming in open water :/

This is one of the very few times I disagree with you SkiFletch, as well as Chac and everyone else, but here goes... :(

Considering that Clownfish actually are classified as Pomacentrids (Damselfishes) I'd imaginge it woudn't be a big deal to have the Damsel in with the Clown. I have seen many people, including myself, keep Damselfish with Clownfish, Gobies, Blennies, Dwarf Angels, ect, and even Dragonets with little or no incident. I think that the aggression in Damselfishes is very exaggerated, and considering that many people are so afraid of Damselfishes that they would never risk keeping them, that actual experience is very limited and people just end up believing what other users tell them.

I personally think it is a very sad thing that people hate Damselfishes so much. They are amoung the most common marine fishes in the world, and adding to that is the fact that they are amoung the easiest of all marine fish to breed, their is relatively very little risk of them becoming endangered in wild when compared to many other more desirable species. The populations of wild Tangs, Angels, ect. are continuously on the decline due to them having to be collected from the wild because they are impossibly difficult to breed in the aquarium. Damselfishes are also very intelligent, very colourful, and very personable. An interesting fish as a whole, very much like a kind of colour-charged, fast, and cute Cichlid. I personally love both Cichlids and Damselfishes, however, both of them do need their own variety of care.

I think that the real problem with Damselfishes losing their desirablity is not their aggression, but the fact that they are losing their novelty. We can put aside tanks for Mbuna and other Cichlids; why can't we do the same for their salty cousins? (who I believe have the advantage, because they can be easily accomodated with other aggressive fishes)

-Lynden

Most reactions

Back