Cycling With One Fish Present.....?

Gun

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Guys, Is there any fish that can stand the'fishless' cycle under normal fishless cycling conditions?

I suppose what I'm trying to ask is whether or not there is any hard nosed fish out there that can cope with extreem water conditions?..and keep me company along the way :D

Probably a stupid question..hence 'fishless' cycling :huh:

No. I've heard of a few fish supposedly capable of tolerating nitrItes in the sort of ridiculous levels you get in a fishless cycle, but the same fish are extremely sensitive to ammonia. No fish should be exposed to the water conditions used in a fishless cycle - even the most hardy fish will be damaged by 5 ppm of ammonia over the course of a month, and very few if any could still breathe through the nitrite spike. Nitrates could hit toxic levels towards the end of a fishless cycle, too, and pH crashes are possible, so there's a lot of things going on to kill a fish.

When cycling with fish, constant water changes are needed to keep ammonia and nitrite down under .25. You could cycle with one fish, but then at the end of the process, you might be able to add one more - with the fishless cycle you could add a reasonable chunk of your planned stock right out of the cycle.

One way to do it is to get a betta and put it into a separate container that gets daily 50% water changes. You can watch the betta swim around in 2 or 3 gallons of uncycled tank while the main tank is cycling. When it is done cycling, the betta could be the first fish that goes into the main tank so you can stop doing daily water changes on him. No fish that I have ever heard of will survive 5 ppm of ammonia for very long.

Thanks for the advice guys...fishless it is :)

Is there a sticky/link somewhere that shows the fastest possible way of doing a fishless cycle? (media help, etc)

the fastest way 2 do a cycle would be getting as much mature media as possible and adding 2 ur own filter systme :)

jen

There is a sticky in this forum of people willing to donate some mature media to help you get going. Check it out and maybe someone will be close enough to be of help to you. Cloning a filter is a very quick way to get a tank running. I have cloned my own several times and it was always finished in about a week.

There is a sticky in this forum of people willing to donate some mature media to help you get going. Check it out and maybe someone will be close enough to be of help to you. Cloning a filter is a very quick way to get a tank running. I have cloned my own several times and it was always finished in about a week.

Very good to hear, OldMan47....one week :D

I think I may have a few sources of media...if not I'll probably be on the bum :blush:

I think I may have a few sources of media...if not I'll probably be on the bum :blush:

I'm trying Tetra Safestart. You might want to look into something like that.

minxfishy, going to order something as soon as my room has been papered/painted. (hopefully next 7-10 days) :good:

A tank with an external filter is what I'm really after...just the tank/hood though. If I can find one with a minimum of 20-21" depth and a height of 2 feet with the ex at a decent price..I'd be over the moon lol! If not, It'll be the Rio :)

Cheers for the link, minxfishy :cool:

I'm trying Tetra Safestart. You might want to look into something like that.

Safestart still exposes fish to high ammonia and nitrites; not as high as a straight 'fish-in' cycle, but any ammonia is enough to permanently burn a fish's gills.

Theres only one word for Tetra Safestart............Useless! :/ Nonstickron, my advice to you is don't waste your money! If you are in the UK, try Bactinnettes, if you are in the US, try Bio-Spira (if its still available). Elsewhere, i'm not sure.

There is a way to instantly cycle a tank, and all it requires is some simple maths.

You get mature media from a mature tank which houses (as an example) 10 guppies. If you take 1/3 of the media, the media you have taken should safely take care of the waste produced by 3 guppies (10/3). In this instance you can safely add 3 guppies straight away. Instantly cycled tank.

As another example, if the mature tank contains 6 oscars and you take 1/2 the mature media, you could safely add 3 oscars of the same size straight away (6/2).

If you go down this route, there are a few things to consider:-

1. Filter bacteria in a mature filter can double in around 24 hours, so never remove more than 50% of the media at any time. 1/3 is best in my experience.

2. Even a mature filter can have blips, so make sure to closely monitor both the mature set-up and the new tank for ammonia and nitrite for at least a week after transferring the media. If either ammonia or nitrite appear in any quantity, no matter how small, large water changes should be performed to counter it.

3. It is best to add the mature media and the fish to the new tank at the same time. If the media is added first, the bacteria will start to die off due to the lack of a food source (ammonia). If the fish are added first, an ammonia build up may occur and kill the fish.

4. If you start the tank with say 3 guppies (depending on the media as described above), bear in mind that the bacteria will take around 24 hours to double, so it would be stupid to then add 10 more guppies the next week as this would overload the filter. When using this method, additional stocking must be slow to allow the filter to catch up, never adding more than the equivalent of what is already in the tank at any one time. Adding the equivalent of 1/2 of the current stocking each time is a good regime (e.g. if there are 6 guppies in the tank already, add no more than 3 guppies).

5. Always test for ammonia and nitrite for at least 1 week after additional stocking, and if they appear in any quantity whatsoever, water changes as necessary. You should only consider adding more fish after 1 week has passed where ammonia and nitrite have both consistently been nil. This rule applies for each additional stocking.

Hope this helps. :good:

BTT

I have actually done the cycling with alone fish and it was a female blue mickey mouse platy, she survived and I still have her today! The tank was a 5 gallon planted eclipse. Thats just my luck

Most reactions

Back