Cycling Tank? Help!

If you are too worried about your betta and doing a fish-in cycle, I suggest getting a temporary home for him. Perhaps a tall, 60 fluid ounce pickle jar or a wide mouthed glass vase?

Then you can do a fish-less cycle, just to avoid harm to your betta.
Though bettas are rather hardy, I don't suggest a fish-in cycle if there is a way you can temporary re-home him until a fish-less cycle can be started and completed.

Wouldn't putting him in a smaller container just increase the danger of ammonia poisoning? He has a couple live plants in there now and I've been doing 50% water changes every three days. He's eating great and is as active as ever!We've had him almost a month so the cycle should be done soon and levels have been very low if not nonexistent. As far as rehoming him goes I don't really have any options for that I don't know a single person I would even feel totally comfortable letting watch him and I don't have any friends with established aquariums. He seems to be doing great thank goodness. Thanks for all the advice guys! I would have been so lost without it.

I have a few bettas in temporary jars until I can upgrade my tanks. If you just clean it out every 3-4 days, it should be fine. Water changes are a blessing too!

You are right T'sMommy. Smaller containers mean that chemistry will not be as stable. It is a trade off. A full volume water change on a quart jar is very easy to do but it won't last very long. A 90% water change on a 5 gallon is not quite as easy but it may last 2 or 3 days. Each of us must make choices about how we care for our fish. That is a part of every fish care issue. I am primarily a livebearer hobbyist so my advice is often better there than it is here, but we each make care choices and must live with the results. I must say that I admire your care for your fish and the effort you are making to do things right.

Hi all. I have just acquired 3 lovely male bettas (ebay - 99p for all of them) 2 are housed in just cycled tanks each 35 litres and for the other I have put some gravel and plants in a kiddies pink mermaid 17 litre with a mature filter. Just reading walstad's ecology of the planted aquarium so am chucking copious amounts of plants in too. The floating plants are particulary good because they use the nitrogen from the tank and get co2 from the air and grow very quickly. Great for the fish to feel secure too. I just love these bettas - was going to swap for three line pencils but might just keep all 3 and get the pencils as well!
Definitely recommend plants esp. Indian fern

Next weekend will be the six week mark and it seems like we don't have any ammonia! I have been doing 50% water changes every day and full ones at least once a week. Takeo has come so far since I first got him. The first week he was a picky eater and now he eats like a bear! He is always very active, loves to flare at us when we sit next to his tank and seems really healthy. I will post pictures for all the people who have helped me out to see how beautiful he is! Also, his tank now has a couple of annubius plants which he loves :)

You are doing fine T'sMommy. If you can continue to hold ammonia and nitrites at near zero, you can go forward indefinitely just the way you are. I would back off a bit on the water changes and see if there is any ammonia or nitrite processing capability in your filter. It may have developed to one degree or another while you were doing your water changes. If so, it might be possible to really reduce the water changes.

I have some ammonia removal stuff, I found it at P@H, so maybe try that?

Ammonia removal chemicals are not to be trusted. A properly cycled filter will rid you of all traces of ammonia but a chemical or worse yet a treatment system for ammonia will work only as long as you ad that chemical. Where that typically leaves you is with a tank that is not cycled but that requires constant attention. Forget the P@H stuff. You must do water changes until your filter takes over control of ammonia and nitrites. It is not a pretty picture, since it often takes over 6 weeks, but it is essential care for your fish.

Ammonia removal chemicals are not to be trusted. A properly cycled filter will rid you of all traces of ammonia but a chemical or worse yet a treatment system for ammonia will work only as long as you ad that chemical. Where that typically leaves you is with a tank that is not cycled but that requires constant attention. Forget the P@H stuff. You must do water changes until your filter takes over control of ammonia and nitrites. It is not a pretty picture, since it often takes over 6 weeks, but it is essential care for your fish.

I agree on this ! :good:

Most reactions

Back