Cycling Tank And Moving House

Seandgoode

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I started cycling my first tank about 9 days ago, so far so good. Unfortunately I found out today I have to move house on the 26th July. I'm guessing my tank will finish cycling roughly in a months time (end of June) and wondered what you guys think I should do? Also I have 3 plants in the tank.

1. Stock the tank after cycling then just move fish and tank etc to new house.

2. Cycle the tank and keep feeding ammonia until moved.

3. Stop adding ammonia and keep tank ticking over to save plants.

I would like to add the fish but am concerned about new fish in new tank and then transporting etc. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Personally I'd go for option 2, but I'd follow TwoTankAmin's advice for keeping the bacteria ticking over as follows (extracted from the TFF advice on cycling a tank):

"If for any reason you are unable to stock the tank when it is cycled, you can continue adding ammonia to keep the tank cycled. For this you should add the 1/3 snack amount every 2-3 days. The bacteria do not need to be fed every day and will be fine. Don’t forget the water change before adding the fish."

Mamashack said:
Personally I'd go for option 2, but I'd follow TwoTankAmin's advice for keeping the bacteria ticking over as follows (extracted from the TFF advice on cycling a tank):

"If for any reason you are unable to stock the tank when it is cycled, you can continue adding ammonia to keep the tank cycled. For this you should add the 1/3 snack amount every 2-3 days. The bacteria do not need to be fed every day and will be fine. Don’t forget the water change before adding the fish."
I think it's probably the most sensible option, it does mean another month of staring and an empty tank tho :(. Thanks for your opinion.

For the sake of a month it'll be worth it. It may be tempting to stock lightly, but then you'd lose the benefit of all those bacteria you've patiently cultured over the weeks of the cycle.

What size is the tank? And what substrate do you have?

If your tank is manageable to move with substrate plus enough water to just just cover it, then I've done route 1. many times. Its the hardest though, you'll have to catch all your fish and livestock and put them in buckets of aquarium water, put all your filter media in buckets of aquarium water...and then depending on the complexity of your substrate, either also move to buckets with water or leave in tank covered by water. That's for an overnight move....if its longer, your fish aint going to be too happy, and ammonia will build up quickly in their temp quarters. You'll also have to feed your filter media and substrate with ammonia if its going to take more than 24 hours, depending on how much you value your bacteria. 

All in all, far easier to wait....but don't let your filter media or substrate dry out during the move!

It's a 90 litre tank or 23 us gal with gravel. I think I will wait till after the move to get fish. I had planned on transporting the tank with substrate in and an inch of water with the filter in a bucket of tank water too. The new house shouldn't be more than 15 mins away so hopefully can get the tank up and running ASAP.

Seandgoode said:
It's a 90 litre tank or 23 us gal with gravel. I think I will wait till after the move to get fish. I had planned on transporting the tank with substrate in and an inch of water with the filter in a bucket of tank water too. The new house shouldn't be more than 15 mins away so hopefully can get the tank up and running ASAP.

Sounds good! Just remember your good bacteria are in your filters and your substrate, so both must be kept under water. All my moves have been 4/5 hour moves...and on the other side, tank was first to get attention! But still, least stress to fish is to have no fish until you in ur new place :)
If you are really bored, maybe get some snails or shrimp which will keep you busy this side of the move, and be fish food the other side of the move?

TrickySpot said:

Sounds good! Just remember your good bacteria are in your filters and your substrate, so both must be kept under water. All my moves have been 4/5 hour moves...and on the other side, tank was first to get attention! But still, least stress to fish is to have no fish until you in ur new place :)If you are really bored, maybe get some snails or shrimp which will keep you busy this side of the move, and be fish food the other side of the move?
That sounds like a great idea! I haven't read up on any snails or shrimp yet, any particular I should look out for?

Most reactions

Back