Cycling - start again or be patient?

Rebecca999

Reaction score
Hello, thanks for adding me.

A novice here trying to fishless cycle and have only just found the great guides on here.

Am 18 days in and have ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all reading 0, pH 8.0, have only just gotten my test kit today.
Initially added some liquid ammonia but half the amount recommended on the bottle as per the local aquarium guy, and Seachem Stability every day.
Have plants and some snails that have hitched a ride, and some algae.

Should I start from scratch or wait a little to see if the nitrites/nitrates come up?
If I add ammonia now will it kill the plants and snails?
Keep going with the Stability or wait?

Thanks for your advice.

Hello, thanks for adding me.

A novice here trying to fishless cycle and have only just found the great guides on here.

Am 18 days in and have ammonia, nitrites and nitrates all reading 0, pH 8.0, have only just gotten my test kit today.
Initially added some liquid ammonia but half the amount recommended on the bottle as per the local aquarium guy, and Seachem Stability every day.
Have plants and some snails that have hitched a ride, and some algae.

Should I start from scratch or wait a little to see if the nitrites/nitrates come up?
If I add ammonia now will it kill the plants and snails?
Keep going with the Stability or wait?

Thanks for your advice.

Your ammonia, Nitrites and nitrates should not be zero after 18 days. Especially if you have snails, because they poop a lot.

I think it's because you didn't feed the snails. Snails don't really eat algae, they eat rotting matter. Surprised that you didn't realized your snails dying as well, as 18 days is too long to go without food even for snails.

Try adding some flake food and stir the water until the flake foods sink to the bottom of the tank. They will start eating it immediately, even if it did not rot.

Most reactions

Back