Cycling Question

ogelthorpe

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am mid-cycle and have used the instructions on this forum (https://www.fishforums.net/threads/simplified-fishless-cycling-instructions.477425/). Everything seems to be progressing well. I reached "Stage 3" and had ammonia at 0 and nitrite at less than 1, so I proceeded to add a full ammonia dose as per the instructions yesterday. I tested today and ammonia is back to 0 but nitrites are at 2 and nitrates are at 10 (no live plants in tank). It says to repeat this step again, so does that mean just wait and test again daily until ammonia and nitrites are both 0, or does it mean I add another full dose of ammonia and test again tomorrow? Do the instructions mean I should add a full dose of ammonia daily until my test comes back at 0 for both ammonia and nitrites? Any clarification would be awesome as I feel I'm getting close here!

Hi everyone,
I am mid-cycle and have used the instructions on this forum (https://www.fishforums.net/threads/simplified-fishless-cycling-instructions.477425/). Everything seems to be progressing well. I reached "Stage 3" and had ammonia at 0 and nitrite at less than 1, so I proceeded to add a full ammonia dose as per the instructions yesterday. I tested today and ammonia is back to 0 but nitrites are at 2 and nitrates are at 10 (no live plants in tank). It says to repeat this step again, so does that mean just wait and test again daily until ammonia and nitrites are both 0, or does it mean I add another full dose of ammonia and test again tomorrow? Do the instructions mean I should add a full dose of ammonia daily until my test comes back at 0 for both ammonia and nitrites? Any clarification would be awesome as I feel I'm getting close here!
So what you do is at the last phase of cycling you have to add the 3ppm of ammonia which you did and then test 24hrs after which you did... Ok, now that I think I'm caught up with where your at you now have to keep testing daily until nitrites are under 0.25... Once you see this, add another 3ppm of ammonia. Keep repeating the ammonia and testing until you get 0ppm ammonia and nitrites in 24hrs.

So what you do is at the last phase of cycling you have to add the 3ppm of ammonia which you did and then test 24hrs after which you did... Ok, now that I think I'm caught up with where your at you now have to keep testing daily until nitrites are under 0.25... Once you see this, add another 3ppm of ammonia. Keep repeating the ammonia and testing until you get 0ppm ammonia and nitrites in 24hrs.
OK thanks. So don't add any more ammonia until nitrites go under 0.25? Then add the 3ppm ammonia daily until I get 0 for both ammonia and nitrites?

Yes, exactly. Just keep testing and adding. You will get there eventually :)
OK thanks. So don't add any more ammonia until nitrites go under 0.25? Then add the 3ppm ammonia daily until I get 0 for both ammonia and nitrites?

Then add the 3ppm ammonia daily
No! Not daily.

At the last stage, add 3ppm and test next day. If ammonia and nitrite are not zero, continue testing every day until
Whenever ammonia is again at .25 ppm or less and nitrite is clearly under 1 ppm, add the full amount of ammonia
You need to wait until nitrite is below 1 ppm then add ammonia.

No! Not daily.

At the last stage, add 3ppm and test next day. If ammonia and nitrite are not zero, continue testing every day until

You need to wait until nitrite is below 1 ppm then add ammonia.
Oh shoot! I didnt see where he said add it daily 😕... Yah, no... Dont add it everyday. Only add the ammonia once the nitrites and ammonia have gone under 0.25

Most reactions

Back