Cycling Help Needed

smitt_graham

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
My new tank has arrived 240ltr. Im going to do a fishless cycle with ammonia, but there are a few questions i want to ask first. Im going on holiday in 5 weeks for a week. Do you think the cycle will be done before i go away. Also if it is i was worried that if i put fish in the tank before i go away im worried about the how the tank will be when im away because ive no one to check on it . I dont want to come back and see my fish all floating on the top. I have a tank at the moment only 100ltr and i will be transfering my fish from that one to this new one. But also i dont want to wait 6 weeks before i do the cycle and then start adding the ammonia as the tank is up , filled and running. Any one HELP me
Cheers Graham :shout: :shout:
Also i saw a post that told you how many drops of ammonia to put in as an estimate depending on the size of your tank if any one knows where it is could they tell me

Hello. Don't know if your tank will cycle within 5 weeks. But there is an ammonia calculator in the Aquarium Calculator section. Hope this helps you.

it should cycle in 5 weeks but if you already have an established tank, just take half the filter media from the old tank and put it in the new tank. Then add some fish and in a couple of weeks it will be fully cycled.

it should cycle in 5 weeks but if you already have an established tank, just take half the filter media from the old tank and put it in the new tank. Then add some fish and in a couple of weeks it will be fully cycled.
So at the moment i have a internal filter in my 100ltr tank, which is running with 3 sponges because i want to change one of the pads so i put the new one in at the same to to minimise water conditions. So if i take the pad out and put that in my external filter and maybe some sand this would save me adding ammonia

If you use one of the old filter pads in the new tank, and add some fish, the old filter pad will grow and develop more bacteria to help colonise the new filter. Just keep the number of fish & food down for a couple fo weeks and monitor the water quality. The fish food and waste will provide the ammonia and the old filter pad will kick start the filter pretty quickly.

You don't need to add any sand to the filter, just the filter pad.
Make sure the new tank water is free of chlorine and has a similar temperature & PH to the old tank. Then the filter bacteria shouldn't be stressed by the move.

Move the fish and filter pad into the new tank on the same day.

So at the moment i have a internal filter in my 100ltr tank, which is running with 3 sponges because i want to change one of the pads so i put the new one in at the same to to minimise water conditions. So if i take the pad out and put that in my external filter and maybe some sand this would save me adding ammonia
Right one more question my new filter is external how do i go about putting old pad in new filter without having a swimming pool in my front room. Also my fish at moment long tailed barbs , Emporer tetras , Pencil fish would they be alright in the tank

not sure if it will help buy my LFS got the pump out and sucked up all the dirty water etc from the bottom of his tank and gave me it to tip in mine, all my levels are fine and tank is cycling,

Right one more question my new filter is external how do i go about putting old pad in new filter without having a swimming pool in my front room. Also my fish at moment long tailed barbs , Emporer tetras , Pencil fish would they be alright in the tank
Turn the external filter off. Unplug it and take the hoses out of the tank. Carry the filter into the bathroom or outside and drain the water into a bucket and pour it back in the tank. Open the filter up and put the old filter pad inside one of the compartments, preferably with some new filter material (noodles, sponge, filter floss) around it.
If the filter pad doesn't fit then cut it to shape and size with a pair of scissors or sharp knife. Put as much of the old filter pad into the new filter as possible.

Some external filters have taps on them that you can use to stop the water flow and enable you to disconnect the filter without removing the hoses from the tank. Make sure the pump is turned off before you turn these taps off.

Not sure what long tail barbs are but a few emperor tetras and pencilfish should be fine in the new tank with one of the old filter pads in the new filter. Only feed the fish a small amount each day and monitor the water quality. After a week or two you can increase the food as long as there hasn't been any ammonia or nitrite readings for a few days.

Turn the external filter off. Unplug it and take the hoses out of the tank. Carry the filter into the bathroom or outside and drain the water into a bucket and pour it back in the tank. Open the filter up and put the old filter pad inside one of the compartments, preferably with some new filter material (noodles, sponge, filter floss) around it.
If the filter pad doesn't fit then cut it to shape and size with a pair of scissors or sharp knife. Put as much of the old filter pad into the new filter as possible.

Some external filters have taps on them that you can use to stop the water flow and enable you to disconnect the filter without removing the hoses from the tank. Make sure the pump is turned off before you turn these taps off.

Not sure what long tail barbs are but a few emperor tetras and pencilfish should be fine in the new tank with one of the old filter pads in the new filter. Only feed the fish a small amount each day and monitor the water quality. After a week or two you can increase the food as long as there hasn't been any ammonia or nitrite readings for a few days.
One more my only worry pad in filter only 2.5 inches by 4 inches is this still ok. By the way thanks for all your advice brilliant.

if the filter pad is only 2.5 x 4 inches that is fine. Just put it in a compartment and have some other filter media in with it. The bacteria will quickly spread from the small piece to the rest of the filter material.

if the filter pad is only 2.5 x 4 inches that is fine. Just put it in a compartment and have some other filter media in with it. The bacteria will quickly spread from the small piece to the rest of the filter material.
Brilliant all done and fish in thanks alot

not sure if it will help buy my LFS got the pump out and sucked up all the dirty water etc from the bottom of his tank and gave me it to tip in mine, all my levels are fine and tank is cycling,

Thats a point Dan81192. My LFS know that I am trying to cycle a tank, (coz I told 'em like) and they didn't offer to give or sell me some bacteria enriched gravel or filter foam......Think I need to say goodbye to them and find a "good 'un".

ah, real shame, my LFS is VERY good, he helps me through every process i do and gave me some mucky water etc, doesnt sell me bad fish etc and he will take time to tell me about stuff, i think you should go find a good LFS,

Am I finally cycled after nearly 6 weeks?
Todays water results....Ammonia.....0, Nitrites..0, Nitrates....10ppm.

Most reactions

Back