Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Dont do anything leave it be

• It s going strong do a water change

• Total voters

Maxamus

Reaction score
hi as the title says i am fishless cycling my tank and am exactly 3 weeks in. So far my ammonia is going from 4ppm to less than 0.05 in 12hours.
However for about 1.5 weeks now my nitrites are off the chart. They will not lower and are reading over 5ppm. However my nitrates are rising last time i checked they were 70ppm. Can someone tell me if there is something wrong with my cycling and how to lower those nitrites
. I have a 130litre tank with aqua nova 1500NCL externl canister filter, my temperature is around 28-30 degrees celcius all day and my air pump and lights are both on for about 11hours a day. in case this helps im using an API freshwater madter testkit.

Sorry about long post
All Help Appreciated Maxamus

it takes roughly twice as long for the bacteria who deal with nitrite to build up as it does the ammonia bacteria, so if it took (e.g.) 1 week for your ammonia to drop then you can expect at least 2 weeks after that before nitrite drops

how long into your cycle was it before your ammonia dropped?

patience is definately a virtue with fishless cycling

it takes roughly twice as long for the bacteria who deal with nitrite to build up as it does the ammonia bacteria, so if it took (e.g.) 1 week for your ammonia to drop then you can expect at least 2 weeks after that before nitrite drops

My ammonia dropped the day after i added it but didnt reach 0 until about a week after and about a week ago it was reaching 0 in less than 12hours

Thanks for the assistance
PS my parents tell me im patient

so if it's taken about 2 weeks to get your ammonia to drop to 0 in 12 hrs the you can expect another 4 weeks after that for the nitrite to go.

just stick with it for now mate, if your nitrates are steadily rising and the ammonias beign processed then it's still doign what it needs to do, just stick with it. looks like your about half way there.

of course it's not an exact science how long it will take, just a rough guide

My ammonia dropped the day after i added it but didnt reach 0 until about a week after and about a week ago it was reaching 0 in less than 12hours

Thanks for the assistance
PS my parents tell me im patient

Maxamus,

I'm going through exactly what you are right now (apart from you are ahead by a week or so). My Nitrite and Nitrates are off the chart, but I know that the Nitrite will start falling soon. When it does only the Nitrate will be there off the chart, but that will be taken care of by the 75% to 90% water change.

Martin

thanks mate i no about the water change its just getting a bit boring having this nice tank siting there in my room but with no fish or weed in there!!!

thanks mate i no about the water change its just getting a bit boring having this nice tank siting there in my room but with no fish or weed in there!!!

:nod: :nod:

i know it's awfully frustrating, all you can do is wait it out

if you want you can try doing a 30% water change which should kick start a stalled cycle and won't do any harm if your cycle is still going strong. however i don't think your cycle is stalled, just taking it's time :/

Most reactions

Back