Cyanobacteria Problems

gigmeyer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Around 04/15, I added 2 TB Rowaphos to my 24g Nano to help control hair algae starting on some of the LR. A week or so later, cyano started and is now growing out of control on the sand in the front of the tank. It is almost black in color, but I assume it is similar to the red strains described in other posts. I stir and syphon it up as best I can on weekly water changes, but it returns in 1-2 days.

I've also checked my RO unit and the water was up to 14 ppm. After flushing it out it is back to the 5-6 ppm range which is about as low as this unit can get for some reason.

Last week, I replaced the SeaChem SeaGel in the filter as it was over 3 months old. The filtration system contains a fiberfloss pad replaced weekly, Rowaphos, Seachem SeaGel, and ChemiPure only. I rinse and re-use the fiberfloss and am rotating 3 pads at this time.

Other parameters are:

SG 1.025
Temp: 78-80 - Recently lowered from 80-82 as recommended by a lfs.
Nitrate-Nitrite - 0
PH: 8.2
Photo period: 9 hours under 150W MH
Water changes: ~3 gals/week (16%) IO
Additives: None
Feeding: Once a day, mostly with Mysis

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Any thoughts on what I should try next?

Know any good churches? j/k

If I were you I'd try two things before I went to the last-ditch effort. First, I'd switch food brands if possible. Try flake/pellet or another brand of mysids. Are you "straining" the mysis before you feed it? Things should clear up in a week or two after switching food if that's the case.

If food change doesnt work, mix up enough saltwater to do a 100% water change, heat it and have it at the same salinity. Then go ahead and do a 100% change, vaccuming up the cyano as you go. Might work.

Absoloute last ditch thing, if neither of the above work... Try a chemical treatment like red slime remover.

put loads of nass snails in. even if you have to put in like 30 and then return loads when its decreasing.

why is red slime remover a last ditch effort? what about chemi-clean, phosban remover pads. used distilled water and ro water to get the ppm down.

Well he's allready using rowaphos and RO water, doing the right things there.

Redslime remover is a last ditch effort because its a broader spectrum gram-negative antibiotic that can harm beneficial bacteria in your system as well as the cyanobacteria. Many beneficial anaerobic bacteria that break down nitrates are gram-negative and possibly killed by redslime remover as well as the cyano.

and also if it doesnt work then you may have a strain of ultra resistant cyano on your hand that is immune to chems

we have found out at the LFS if we try and keep tops on the tanks we get lots of cyano i don't know if you have a top or not .but if you do you may try to remove it till the cyano subsides. we also have had good luck with red slime cyano-bacteria remover made by chemiclean. but it is quite pricey i pay 15.00$

Thanks for all the feedback. Was away for a couple of days and cyano is still rampant. There is only egg-crate on the tank, so the cover is not an issue. I haven't strained the mysis as nitrates haven't been a problem, but will try a larger water change this w/e an use brine shrimp for a week.

Would/could protein skimming help? I have a nano-fission skimmer I never use as nitrates have always been 0 in this tank.

and also if it doesnt work then you may have a strain of ultra resistant cyano on your hand that is immune to chems

Although you could argue that he would ALREADY of had that, but using the treatment proved it. :shifty:

Heh, I'll refrain from getting into the biology of bacteria for the moment...

Gig, the reason you dont "see" nitrates with your test kit is that they are being gobbled up as soon as they are present in the water column. The bacteria eats them so fast that you wont see them at levels high enough to test for. When you have a cyano bloom, all nutrients that enter the tank will be consumed within minutes or hours, hence you'll read 0 on all test kits. Were it controllable and not pervasive, cyanobacteria would be a great organism for nutrient export.

So, can I assume that a protein skimmer is worth trying then as it could remove substances feeding the cyanobacteria before the cyano consumes it?

I guess that reducing feeding, decent skimming, fresh rowaphos, regular water chnages, reducing lighting slightly and gravel vacuuming are your best bet.

If you do all these you should be able to get the better of it.

So, can I assume that a protein skimmer is worth trying then as it could remove substances feeding the cyanobacteria before the cyano consumes it?

In theory yes, the problem is that nano skimmers are notoriously ineffective at skimming. The contact time is just too low in a nano skimmer for it to be of significant effect.

Most reactions

Back