Cuttle Bone In A Goldfish Tank

LookingToLearn

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,
I am about to give my snail a piece of cuttle bone for calcium. B4 I do this I want to make sure it is safe for my goldies as I am sure they are going to want to taste it.. lol LFS guy said it was OK but I thought I would ask here too just to be sure.
Thank you very much for any and all help
~heidi~

I have 2 goldfish, Common and a Shubunkin.

Hi,
I am about to give my snail a piece of cuttle bone for calcium. B4 I do this I want to make sure it is safe for my goldies as I am sure they are going to want to taste it.. lol LFS guy said it was OK but I thought I would ask here too just to be sure.
~heidi~

yup, Will be just fine :)

Hi,
~heidi~

yup, Will be just fine :)

Great! Thank you!

BTW.. Your sig is awesome! What a beautiful fish!

I'd be worried about it having similar effects to adding calcium-containing rock, i.e. increasing the pH and making the water harder.

test the ph of your water and is your water hard or soft?

You can add small amounts of cuttlebone at a time. check PH..Its a Decrease in PH that will harm fish more than the Increase.

I have soft water. 75ppm and the ph is 6.8.

Should I just put small chunks of cuttle bone in the water and let them dissolve? My LFS said the snail would/should eat it but my snail doesn't seem interested in the bone at all...

Thanx again for your help!

I have soft water. 75ppm and the ph is 6.8.

Should I just put small chunks of cuttle bone in the water and let them dissolve? My LFS said the snail would/should eat it but my snail doesn't seem interested in the bone at all...

Thanx again for your help!

Well adding the bone isn't going to hurt a thing. Try small chunks that can't choke your fish. Maybe half a Cuttle-Bone.. Have you tried Veggie clips for your tank?..Snails love Lettuce.

Well adding the bone isn't going to hurt a thing. Try small chunks that can't choke your fish. Maybe half a Cuttle-Bone.. Have you tried Veggie clips for your tank?..Snails love Lettuce.

No, but I am going to get one. I have a hard time anchoring the veggies down with my gravel, something bumps it and it goes floating up to the top..

I saw my snail munching on a piece of Romaine Lettuce I put in there yesterday. Is that high in calcium? Yesterday was the first time I had offered it to him.

No, but I am going to get one. I have a hard time anchoring the veggies down with my gravel, something bumps it and it goes floating up to the top..

I saw my snail munching on a piece of Romaine Lettuce I put in there yesterday. Is that high in calcium? Yesterday was the first time I had offered it to him.

Romaine contains 11.3 mg of calcium per a 1 cup serving.. I looked it up for ya :good:

Most reactions

Back