cucumber

evilbunny

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i've read onthe forum that some of the fish like cucumber but how do i feed it to them ?? do i just cut up a piece of cucumber and plonk it into my tank ??? :/

I peel the cucumber....cut it in half.....then wedge it under an ornament so it doesn't float away!!!

The reason for peeling is to get any pestcicides etc. that may have been used....also dirt and any other nasties...

Some people blanch theirs, I have never needed to....my fish prefer it raw!!

I found that nearly all of my fish liked cucumber, even my Rams who defend it with great display :D Blanching it made it softer and easier to eat for some :)

I leave the skin on, but scrub it clean as my Gibby loves the skin, I also cut the middle out so that the seeds do not spread through the tank.

I also now have to cut it in half as my Gibby has now started to get his fat head stuck in it.

I do blanch it as I do will any veg.

Arfie

Great........I should have read this prior to putting cucumber in my tank..... :blink:

Decided to do it for the first time tonight.......did wash the skin thoroughly (and then in tank water before it went in).....did pull the slice back out of the water and break it in half......

.......did still leave the pips in...... :/

.......did leave it floating in the tank...... :/

........will think more carefully next time (gonna lift it out in the morning).....

....but my molly "juves" love it..... :D

Leave it a good 24 hours to give 'em chance to eat it and for it to get a bit softer, but not much longer or it goes nasty :sick: and can mess up your filter and your water.

Arfie

Two other ways with cucumber are

1. to buy a clip that sticks to the side of the tank via suction cup. This clip holds the cucumber in place. (It's what I have and they love it because it nice and secure)

2. When you buy plants they have are weighted. The weight is soft and bendy - I noticed in some lfs that they bend one of these weights around the edge of the cucumber and it then sinks to the bottom.

:cool:

edit - spelling oops

i use the anchor of an old plastic plant with a tie rap on.Just push tie rap through cucumber and push plant anchor into sand

:) you should leave the middle in the cucmber ...plecs love it and the seeds are good against wormsand stomach upsets .....simply wash the outside and weight it down...mine will quite happily swim up to the top and hang on it there as well...funny to watch :D

I have tetras, mollies, and platys (three different tanks) and I have fed them zucchini before which my mollies adored, and everyone eats the peas (i feed them peas once a week) but I was wondering if anyone knew any fruit I could feed them. I have seen the LFS feeding their tanks what looks like orange slices and I know you can feed goldfish and koi oranges but I am not quite sure about my guys.

Anyone know anything that might be useful?

Thanks,
Kitten

I grind it up before giving it to fish.

BTW: Kowajii the bala shark can eat a WHOLE slice of cucumber at a time!!! :blink: He's SO cute!!

Most reactions

Back