Reaction score
Will any of these eat cucumber:

Rasboras
Cardinal Tetras
Swordtails
CAE
Ottos
Shrimp

These are what I have now, or want to get soon. Can you say which ones will eat cucumber. I just want to add something new to their diet. Currently, they get most like flake, and rarely Frozen Brine Shrimp (would feed more, but i always forget about it) So, would a cucumber be a good thing to feed?

One more thing about cucumber. How long do I leave it in? I have read you cant leave it in too long, but they also wont eat it when its still hard, so its got to be left in a certain amount of time. So, anyways, whats a good length of time to leave it in?

Thanks

One easy way to find out - stick some in! My pleco and my kribensis all love cucumber, but none of my other fish touch it. The pleco starts eating immediately. I leave the cucumber in for 24 hours then remove it - it is just the rind left by then!

Its in there. Just a small piece. The swordtails have been nibbling, but nothing else knows its there I think.

courgette is far better for them than cucumber tbh

The otos might eat it, but it might not look very eaten. I've watched mine munch it for hours, and they're so small they don't really take much off of it.

Yeah I just started feeding my fish cucumber and I've noticed that it has taken a few times before my fish know that its food. The first couple times I put it in they just figured it was a new piece of decor, lol. anyway just give it some time and they'll probably start eating it.

My ottos like cucumber, but only once it's been in the tank for a while. I follow some advice on another post and give it a few seconds in the microwave, then rinse under cold water until it's cool, and this seems to help. I put some in the other day, weighed it down with a stone, dropped it in the tank, a few hours later there was an otto stuck to it. Next morning, no cucumber, just the stone - I later found the dark green peel floating in a plant, all the soft inside had gone. Not sure how many of the fish had eaten it, but there was pale green coming out of the ottos for the rest of the day...

I have a shoal of 11 Harlequin Rasboras. They totally ignore any cucumber that's ever put in. I guess they would finally have to eat this though if I didn't put more appealing food in.

I mainly put cucumber in every now and then for my Bristlenose.

Most reactions

Back