Cryptocoryne Parva Melt :(

uGlitch

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I've recently planted my cryptocoryne parvas into my tank.
It's now been a couple days now and I start noticing that the leaves are starting to go brown.
I'm assuming this is the norm as I've read a lot about plants "melting" due to their transition between their emersed and imersed forms.
Should I be trimming the leaves off as they grow brown?
How long do the transitions usually take?
Do's and don'ts?

Any information will be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

Unsure if it is of any use but when i bought some Wendtii, it was green. After a few weeks i started to notice something on the sand. it was the aformetioned 'melt' which i knew nothing of. :blush: The leaves were then brown and i assumed dying. Turned out they were the 'brown' variety and it was completely normal. lol.

Hope you get it sorted soon mate :good:

it's not gonna hurt to trim the leaves, they will grow back. The emmersed crypt leaves will eventually need trimming off anyways. They don't always melt, especially if they have had time to melt in the LFS.

I ordered them in at the LFS where I work at. Picked them up the day they arrived.
What should I be expecting to see during a crypt melt? And how long do they melt for usually?

Stu is right, they do literally melt...

here

the-melts.jpg

and it can last anywhere up to about 6 weeks IME. The more C02 and ferts in the tank, the quicker and better the plants recover.

Most reactions

Back