CRUCIAL MATTER OF IMPORTANCE TO ALL FORUM MEMBERS.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I’m on my third avatar in 13 months. I’m easily bored.
I change mine whenever the mood takes me, I like to keep people on their toes, and it often represents my current mood or photos of my own fish. Last one is a close up of my dog's nose that makes me smile because I know the context, but probably just odd to others!

@Ichthys I've always wondered whether that's a close up of your cats face?

My current avi is a drawing I found somewhere on Google that I unfortunately cannot find the source to credit - but it's meant to be a character from within Sir Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, Mistress or Granny Weatherwax, depending on who is addressing her. Unofficial but very much the head witch and highly respected for her magical talents, but also no nonsense and does what needs to be done, while never letting anyone know when she's vulnerable.

Wonderful character in many of his books, he's one of my all time favourite authors and I often revisit his books, and my forum name is also taken from a character in his books. Who happens to be a kind but no nonsense woman you wouldn't want to cross in a hurry.

Hmm. Not going to analyse my fictional hero choices right now, but you don't need a degree to understand looking up to strong capable women! :D His books are always hilarious, often incredibly sharp witted commentaries on our societies and human nature, but the depth is only there if you choose to pick up on it and know the historical and societal things he's lampooning, or when he's holding up a mirror and showing us how ridiculous some things like prejudice really are, and the harm it causes. But because it's a fantasy world and very funny, people can read it on a surface level and still enjoy the series. :) But there are layers, themes and references galore, so very re-read is often rewarded with a new detail or sharp witted observation you may have skimmed past without truly registering before.

Anyhow, I'm not a saleswoman, and Sir Terry sadly passed (GNU Sir Terry), but anyone who hasn't read a book of his, or tried one, didn't get along with it and didn't try another, I can't recommend his work enough. To anyone. 😍
Mine is of our little waterfall at night. We use the red light when the fire pit is roaring. The rest of the time a soft blue light, or none at all.

Ooohh, I like that! I couldn't see it well enough in the small avi on the computer to see what it was, so clicked through to get a better look at the photo, and it looks nice! I like the heron and (egret?) and the touch with the howling wolf climbing to the top of the peak to howl! Must be a lovely feature to enjoy warm evenings outside, with mood lighting! Gotta love a waterfall. And the croc! ❤️
Well… didn’t your momma ever tell you not to ask questions, you didn’t really want to know the answer to???

:rofl: You've been killing me lately with your quick, funny responses! I mean you're right, she did ask!

I try to change mine once a year or so. I was out practicing with my bow last fall and decided to point it at the camera. (Pro tip: Make sure you have a VERY firm grip on the string if you ever try this, as slips could be both embarrassing and costly) I call this picture "The last thing a rabbit ever sees." In my opinion, @Essjay should do one like this and call it "The last thing a forum spammer ever sees."

I have regularly changed both my avatar picture and my signature for the past 20+ years on all of the forums where I have posted over the decades. The one thing that has not changed is I use the same screen name all across the net since about 2000 or so. BTW, that name had nothing to do with fish when I adopted it. I did not yet have my first tank.

I used to play a war game online. That is where the TTA name originated.

During my first 5 or 7 years in the hobby I moderated chat rooms on fish forums. I refused to moderate on the forums however. I always felt that one should have a broader fish knowledge than I had.

edited to correct poor grammar.

Last edited:
I am considering changing my avatar to my sig pic...the Asian Fisherman ornament. Do you think I should do this?
Yes! You've had the current one for ages, and the siggy pic is great! I remember watching the video about your hex tank, it's awesome!

While I genuinely hope that this post does encourage people to upload an image for their profile rather than the blank default, because it makes it more personal and them more recognisable...

I'm also now realising that there's potentially going to be a short period of time where many of our most active members might all be changing their profile pics at the same time, and we're all going to be a bit thrown when we've all all switched "faces" at once. :lol: And secretly hope that happens and adds some fun confusion I hadn't considered when making this daft post. :devil:

Well, I changed my avatar. I am now a man of wisdom as I pose as an asian fisherman wielding the BAN HAMMER.

Here's the Asian Fisherman fishing in my 35 gallon hex tank.
Fisherman's Paradise
2019jan-totm-png.108785

Last edited:
The choice for me was either Cheep Cheep from Mario or Dewey from Detroit Become Human set in 2038. The only problem was that you decide whether Dewey lives or not :confused: so I went for the safe option 😅

Attachments

• DBH.jpg
    DBH.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 20
The choice for me was either Cheep Cheep from Mario or Dewey from Detroit Become Human set in 2038. The only problem was that you decide whether Dewey lives or not :confused: so I went for the safe option 😅

I know the part of the game you're referring to! Awesome game that I've never played, but watched a few different playthroughs with their different choices, and glad most people automatically went "of course, save the fish!" I'd side-eye anyone who didn't ;)

It's a pretty massive fish for a dwarf gourami, but otherwise, I admire their dedication to realism and replication of the colouration and markings, and making it realistic to trigger that instinct to care for it.

It's a pretty massive fish for a dwarf gourami, but otherwise, I admire their dedication to realism and replication of the colouration and markings, and making it realistic to trigger that instinct to care for it.
I had read that it was intended to be a bigger size. Since it was set in 2038, I think the developers thought they could make it bigger and use the "futuristic" setting to show how things have changed. Maybe breeding has advanced that far by then? I wouldn't mind a 1ft long sawbwa actully 😀 The tetras seem to be small though so who knows 🤷‍♂️

Look at the betta as well! 😂 Its huge! @41 seconds

Last edited:
LOL, my ‘tar has been the same for years, as with others perhaps it is time for a change. I chose it whilst I was looking for a logo for my business, it was my original logo, changed that several years ago. It’s environmentally green and holistic and sharp and spikey (I stab people for a living) like a thistle. Being a Scot it worked nicely. TBH, my avatar suits me too, so maybe I won’t change it after all.

LOL, my ‘tar has been the same for years, as with others perhaps it is time for a change. I chose it whilst I was looking for a logo for my business, it was my original logo, changed that several years ago. It’s environmentally green and holistic and sharp and spikey (I stab people for a living) like a thistle. Being a Scot it worked nicely. TBH, my avatar suits me too, so maybe I won’t change it after all.
Are you an acupuncturist? Or are you a surgeon? Or are you a hit man? :lol:

Mine is just a picture of me 🤷‍♀️ been considering a change. Maybe I’ll change it once my heads reattached and fused to symbolize a fresh start
I'm sorry, but when I read this, I couldn't think of anything else except for a Lego character putting it's head back on 😭🤣

Most reactions

Back