Critter? (Solved!)

Slaphppy7

Mod-o-holic
Staff member
Global Moderator ⚒️
Reaction score
I have these little "bugs" in the ground my backyard, dozens of them, and have no clue what they could be. The "burrows" are about 1/4" in diameter. The "bugs" never come fully out of the burrows, that I have seen, they just "park" themselves at the entrance, and sit there, until something disturbs or startles them, then they quickly shoot back down the hole. I've lived in this same area my entire life, and don't recall seeing these things in my younger days...they seem to have appeared in the last several years....anyone have a clue as to what they might be?

Watch the whole video, it's only about 45 seconds long...

[VIDEO]

It appeared and dissapeared so quickly! Its a tremor! 😅.
Maybe a trapdoor spider? Idk. Never seen them really but I have heard of em.

Ooh they are strange, where in the world are you? I've never seen those before 😮

It appeared and dissapeared so quickly! Its a tremor! 😅.
Maybe a trapdoor spider? Idk. Never seen them really but I have heard of em.
It's "head" does resemble a spider---somewhat---but by the way they ascend the burrow, I'm thinking it is more cylinder-shaped

It's "head" does resemble a spider---somewhat---but by the way they ascend the burrow, I'm thinking it is more cylinder-shaped
Hmm... Spiders could look cylinder shaped when in a tight space and then quickly disappear. Or its a weird looking snake

Can I just tell you that I love you and your wife's accents? :wub:

I don't know what they are I'm afraid, but I'd be just as curious as you! They do remind me of trapdoor spiders too, but they're called trapdoor spiders because they make, well, a door. But there's bound to be lots of insects and bugs that utilise burrows both to hide, and to ambush.
1/4 burrow is tiny! Wish there was something next to it for scale. Ever tried digging one up and catching it for a better look?

I don't know what they are I'm afraid, but I'd be just as curious as you! They do remind me of trapdoor spiders too, but they're called trapdoor spiders because they make, well, a door. But there's bound to be lots of insects and bugs that utilise burrows both to hide, and to ambush.
1/4 burrow is tiny! Wish there was something next to it for scale. Ever tried digging one up and catching it for a better look?
DIG! DIG! DIG!
Then take a photo of it doesnt eat you before you can. At least try sending the picture before it eats you though.

Oh gosh, I didn't realize we were talking during the vid...yes, that was Mrs. Slap & me, she's a 3rd grade teacher, we were talking about one of her students...gah, I hope we don't come across as hillbillies, lol :blush:

It is almost as if they are indeed waiting to ambush...something...but I've never seen them come any further out of the burrows than what you see in the vid...I actually DID try to dig one up, once, but never found it

Could it be a beatle maybe?
Eh...I don't think so...but, at this point, anything is possible...I need an entomologist to have a look...have we any of those here?

Right now, the ground is so dry, trying to dig one up would be a chore

Oh gosh, I didn't realize we were talking during the vid...yes, that was Mrs. Slap & me, she's a 3rd grade teacher, we were talking about one of her students...gah, I hope we don't come across as hillbillies, lol :blush:

It is almost as if they are indeed waiting to ambush...something...but I've never seen them come any further out of the burrows than what you see in the vid...I actually DID try to dig one up, once, but never found it
So it just... Vanishes. Weird...
Maybe its a larvae of a beatle! I just thought if that! It could be a caterpillar/worm looking thing that is really a larvae!

Wonder if you can make a trap that uses suction - think it's called a pooter? that those bug and spider people use to collect specimens. where you literally suck the creature into a little container - but crucially - have a mesh or something inside so you're not playing with fire and risking sucking it into your mouth...

Nope, don't sound like hillbillies to me! But I'm English, read a lot of romance novels as a horse-mad tween and teenager, and my favourites were about cowboys/ranchers etc, where the setting was usually Texas, Wyoming, Montana etc. So I have a bit of a sentimental girlhood weakness for the accents! And Texas is a beautiful place. Have wanted to visit a real ranch ever since. Maybe one day!

Most reactions

Back