Creepy Corys 0.o

Vegan Peaches

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
So, I got 3 albino corys today (I know you are supposed to have like 6, but my tank is too small) and they keep swimming on each other... at the pet store they were all over the place, but now they are like... well, forgive me for sounding immature, but they are humping each other, seriously. It's not like they never seperate, because they do, and they chill with the livebreeder in the tank too, but when they group up it's really funny, yet I don't know if this is normal or not...

Also, another question, would having 3 of one kind of cory, and then 3 of a smaller species be as good as having 6? or would it be bad?

I thought 3 cories was OK. Anyone ele got any thought on this?

I dont see a problem with mixing different cories either.

Dont worry about their behaviour. Cories are very tactile fish and love to huggle up together and sometimes swim around together touching too!

From what other members have said, they all shoal together, though they won't necessarily breed together.

And albinos tend to be very enthusiastic fish, and there's nothing wrong with what they do. If they look as though they might be cleaning a surface in the tank (the walls, a leaf, or rocks), then thye might be preparing sites for breeding, in which case they are in very good condition. :D

I dont know how good their condition is, they went from petco water to public city water drugged up with anti-ich meds and mild amount of salt due to livebearers 0.o But they seem happy. Really happy. I wish I had a nice digi camera like alot of people on this site so I could show everyone xD

Congrats on your new Corys! They're lovely little fish, aren't they? They're so much fun to watch!

mild amount of salt due to livebearers
I would advise against putting Corys in water that has any salt. I do believe it can burn their skin :(

Have three of one kind and three of another should be fine :nod:

Enjoy your Corys!

Pamela
aka Married Lizard :wub:

3 is the minimum number, 6 or more is the ideal number. They don't sound like they're out of the ordinary though probably somewhat stressed.

I can see why. In the future , when I get a bigger tank, could I add several corys of the same species do you think? Or would it be like 2 seperate cliques of corys that didn't interact much?

Congrats on the corys. I plan on having 12 total when I get done. Should I get 6 of 2 different kinds, or can I get 3 or 4 different kinds? I currently have 3 skunks and 3 albinos. Thanks for the help.

Brad

Cories should be fine with the salt. While they're not scaly, they do have plates and aren't in danger of salt burning assuming you don't overdose the salt. You can mix the cories with other species or more of the same, but it's always a good idea to have at least three of any species you get.

Thx Teelie ^^ I wouldn't get more of anything until I get a tank upgrade because I'm overstocked as is, but it's nice to have plans for expansion. I like corys, I mean my livebearers were pretty, but they wouldn't live, they just died left and right. The corys are new, so my luck might not be much better with them, but I can lways hope ^^

Most reactions

Back