Cracked Heater

Davo86

Cichlids, Catfish and Oddballs
Reaction score
basicly i'm half way through filling my new tank and one of the heaters i have in there has cracked due to the water being so cold, it has released a load of air bubbles and is now half filled with water,

will this be safe to stay in the tank until tomorrow when i can replace it?

id assume the worst, that the bubbles were air escaping and its full of water, if you plug it in odds are it might mix with all the lovely electricity!

not worth the rist in my book, im sure ppl on here may have one they want to sell...

Yeah don't use it. Might shock the fish and kill them. Better just to buy a new one.

thanks, it was only because all of my fish are sitting in buckets whilst i fill up their new tank,
Luckily i remembered i had an old juwel heater stored away which should do the job for tonight

same thing happened when i got my new tank, had it all set up, fish were in and all fine<seriously>stuck my arm in to move some wood and got the strangest sensation, kept poking finger in and getting this small shock, thought it was me as fish were fine, After about 30mins i thought look at heater and yes i manged no problem to pull the whole tube of glass straight of the heating element,,,I would not use it mate, As stated the fish may die and you will kick yourself, worst still you may do something to the electrics, as water-electric = :crazy: :lol:

so you finally got the tank did you?
want to see pics please

Lol, pics will appear tomorrow, provided the tank is still standing,

When i removed the heater i also noticed it had cracked the glass in 3 places :crazy:
as if that was bad enough the bl**dy doors won't fit on the cabinet

tank came at 7.30 this morning and right at this minute the fish are in buckets and the tank is barely 18C with no substrate, no background and 2 out of the 4 doors missing

glass on the tank! :crazy:

exactly!

I'm scared sh!tless to touch anything atm in case anything happens
i'm just sitting hoping it gets up to temp fast so my fish can go in for tonight and i'll see how bad things are in the morning

the tanks not cracked is it? :unsure:
how about boiling some water putting into plastic bottles, obviously not boiling.....And float these in the buckets,,,,actually maybe better with just hot water from tap

do not use a cracked heater if you do ANY one that comes in to contact with the water will be KILLED is that worth£20

Most reactions

Back