coviticts mateing r fighting?

jerenycool

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
my convits r moveing the gravel from around one of my ornaments in my take? then they stared to fighting but they could have been mateing? what should i do¿?¿

firstly are they a pair if yes then try to see if they've laid any eggs, If they have then you should remove the male for a while or atleast seperate them.
Sometimes (especialy) with a first batch convicts accuse each other of trying t6o eat the eggs/fry.
Once the eggs have hatched it is important to remove the female for a short time or add another else the male will harass her for more lovin' :*)

OK, the female will look something like this
wild_convict_fem_with_fry.jpg

Notice the orange colouration, she will also be smaller than the male.

convict.jpg

Here's a male, he has a longer dorsal fine and some males have a defined lump on their foreheads (cant remember what it's called)

convict_eggs_003.jpg

Some eggs for a rough idea, though they can be all sorts of colouring, cream, pink

ok thanks i have a pair but i don't think i have eggs yet. what will the femlae look like when she is pregent and will she start acting funny?

they like to lay them on flat surfaces and that why they smothed the gravel away if they start staying in an area look around that area and see if they have eggs

flippin'

the lump on the forehead is called a nuchal hump. it is a fatty deposit that is more prevelant in males, although some females in captivity have been known to sport them also.

semper fi

Most reactions

Back