Couple Of Questions On Adding First Variatus Platies

Badnews

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new so thanks for your help and patience in advance :)
As I mentioned in the Welcome forum I'm just setting up a first tank.
I'm looking to add 3 Variatus Platies. All same sex to stop Fry. My questions are ..,
Would it be ok to add 3 different variations of Variatus Platies, eg marigold, Tuxedo, neon blue etc
Or should I keep them all the same, eg 3 marigold.
Also what's the best way to introduce them? One at a time with time inbetween. Or the 3 together?

8E820AC1-807E-4D9D-8C97-CEBCE11CA45A-888-0000016E7E320ED5.jpg

My basic tank, decorated by my toddler, although I have taken over a bit as I'm really getting into it ;)

I don't know much about platy's so I can't help, but I just wanted so say I love your tank!It's so cute ! My daughter likes to help out with our fish aswell, shes like an alarm clock for feeding them and using the glass cleaner :)

Where is the filter?
What size is the tank?
How have you "cycled" this tank ready for fish?

Platties are pretty active fish that can be a bit fiesty/nippy, especially in small numbers in smaller tanks. I would not want to risk a group of 6+ in anything less than a 90x30x30cm tank, in a smaller tank I would choose something like Gupppies or Endlers every time.

I have bought a 24lt 6 gallon starter tank and pump/filter set, about 40x20, was originally planning on goldfish, but after some reading I'm now just planning on 3 x variatus platy fish.
Just going with room temp tank. I have some small gravel and planted a some real plants at the back, however everyone is telling me they won't last ;(
I've used the Api stress coat, and added stress zyme, waiting a week before adding fish.
Pretty clueless, but reading as much as possible and bought a test kit to keep on top of water conditions etc.

Are guppies Endlers easy for beginners, I've read danios and Platies were ideal beginners.

Danios and platies are extremely hardy little fish, but unfortunately, platies are a bit larger than is suitable for that size tank and danios are ridiculously active little fish for their size.  Ideally I'd keep danios only in a 6 foot tank, minimum of a 4 foot tank!

Guppies aren't as hardy as they used to be because of inbreeding to bring out specific colors, etc.  In your size tank, endlers would be the best option of the fish you mentioned.

Have a read through this thread for other suggestions, not all of them are "beginner fish" though.  I'd classify your tank as a "nano", so that's why I sent you there.   (A great addition to that tank would be a betta.  Bettas are also hardy fish, and perfect for a tank that size - just one though if you are getting a male.)

As already suggested, make sure you cycle that tank, which takes 4-8 weeks!!! Afterwards, it don't matter if you have hardy fish or not because they should be just fine with weekly partial water change.  If your tank is not heated, depending on regular temperature, you can think about some colder water species.

The plant you have is non-aquatic. What you can do though, is suspend the roots in the tank only and leave the top outside. It may grow quite well emersed. Do you have light over that tank because plants need light.

Platies are too big for that tank. But you can get different species together, they'll get on just fine. I keep posting a picture of my platies, but just to show how big they'll grow. These adult females are around 7-7.5cm long!!! And as you can see, very wide too..The ones you see in the shop are 2-3 months old max, so people think they are small fish.

dscf4525v.jpg

Interesting info, thanks... I am very interested in keeping a Betta, I didn't know much about them until you mentioned it.
After looking at the options this could be the way forward, I am going to do some digging on keeping one.

Don't forget you'll need a heater, as well as a filter, for a betta (that would give you more options for fish, like Endler's or microrasbora, too).

Whatever fish you decide on, you'll need to cycle your tank (well, technically the filter media, but most people keep the filter in the tank
wink.png
); just letting it run for a week will not get it ready for fish; despite what the shops will tell you! We have some good articles on cycling in our beginner's resource centre; the link for that is in my sig
smile.png

For variatus platys you don't need a heater (not like other platys) they are happy at room temperature I've always added 1 at a time but that's with goldfish but platys are shoal fish so they want to stay together. I've got them just be careful none are pregnant when you get them or you'll have a tank of fry

Most reactions

Back